Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to blueeyes
I've got algae!!!

I never had an algea problem before so I'm not sure how to deal with it. However, today I noticed a lot of algea forming on the gravel, stones, and my silk plants. I have a 7 gal with one male beta. I do have a florescent light that I usually put on periodically in the evening. Should I quit that? The tank is not in direct sunlight either. Any suggestions to clear this up would be appreciated.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
What color algae? Rust algae won't respond to light deprivation, as it's not photosynthtic (you can tell by the lack of chloropyll, which would make it green). Green algae will. In that case, you can cover the tank for a couple of days. Leaving just enough light for the betta to see, of course.

And algae forms because of excess nutrients such as phosphates and nitrate in the water column. Try doing some larger water changes more frequently to get rid of these chemicals. Don't go for the easy route--adding Algae-be-Gone or whatever it's called. These things often mess up your tank. Avoiding chemicals is best...

Old 12-17-2003, 08:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i didn't think mine got direct sunlight eigther, but one day school was delayed and I notices it was. If your positive, buy some algea destroying stuff and make sure the tank stays clean.

edit: I gues i controdicted madasafish, i don't like chemicals eigther(i gues i contradicted myself too)

Some of my greatest thoughts have ended in a semi-colon.
"Work hard and it might happen."
- XSquared
"Don't be afraid to be paranoid."
- The Mentor
1veedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, it's green algae.

I do 10% water change once a week. I've been very good about doing this too, and I feel that the tank has been pretty clean.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

What about getting an algae eater for the tank? I just wasn't sure if one would be compatible with a beta.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Even though people say that otos do not like green algae, my otos like to munch on it very much. They look like little vacuum-cleaners when they mow that thing. Maybe you should try it. Get 2-3 otos and see what they do. When I had problem with green algae in my old tank, I got them and they got rid of it in 3 days. Otos are very delicate and want stable environment though.
- 2 Otocinclus Cats.
- 3 Spotted Corys (Corydoras agassizi)
- 4 Clown Loaches
- 2 Rosy Barbs
captainGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

What type of an environment is appropriate for an Oto and would it be ok to put a couple in with the beta?
Old 12-23-2003, 03:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Otos can live in wide water conditions. They do, however, require very good filtration and water changing routine. THey are very peaceful and rarely swim around, they just sit in one place or munch on algae from time to time, so it is hard to think that beta would bother them, since they practically do not swim around that much. Initial acclimatization is very essential. Make sure you do the routine of letting your tank water slowly drip into some container where they are in their LFS water. Let it drip there for 30 minutes, and them move them. After they are done with your algae make sure you give them some algae wafers at lights out and some blanched zucchini from time to time.
- 2 Otocinclus Cats.
- 3 Spotted Corys (Corydoras agassizi)
- 4 Clown Loaches
- 2 Rosy Barbs
captainGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice!

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com