jack dempsey cichlid questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
What size tank is best for a JD and what tank mates do best with them? I was thinking about a JD and an oscar but I think I'm going to stay away from the oscar for now. Any other suggestions?

A Jack and smaller catfish like a syno or raphael would be fine in a 55. If you want other cichlids you would want more room. A 75g with 1 oscar, 1 firemotuh, and a couple medium size cats would work too. You could keep going up in size and add more semi-agressive cichlids like severums, geophagus, blood parrots, and acaras. What size tank were you looking at? Going away from the oscar is a good idea, they should have 100g just for 1.

A Jack and smaller catfish like a syno or raphael would be fine in a 55. If you want other cichlids you would want more room. A 75g with 1 oscar, 1 firemotuh, and a couple medium size cats would work too. You could keep going up in size and add more semi-agressive cichlids like severums, geophagus, blood parrots, and acaras. What size tank were you looking at? Going away from the oscar is a good idea, they should have 100g just for 1.

Not sure yet, minimum would be 55 but I would really like a 75. If I can find a good deal on 100 gallons or more I might go that direction.

100g with 1 Jack, 1 Firemotuh, 1 Blue Acara, 1 striped Raphael, 1 Geophagus jurupari would be nice.

If you go 100 gallon your options open up greatly. You could do Oscar then for sure or Green Terror or maybe a female jag.

75 I would suggest Fire mouth or anything in the thoricthys family, Convicts, Acara, Blood Parrots.

I know the people that dont like mixing new and old world will yell at me for this but I have mine with a bunch of peacocks for the past year and it has worked out nicely. the peacocks harass eachother and ingnore the JD and the JD ignores all of them.

Back
Top Bottom