Jargon??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy.keeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to fish and joined this forum to get advice before I do anything drastically wrong, I notice lots of people on here are what I would consider expert level keepers and use lots of jargon and abbreviations, so, for a noobie to fish and the world of keeping, and for others like me out there who use this app, could some of you elaborate on the jargon so we know what MTS and things like that are/mean, thanks guys

Lfs= local fish store
Cherries=cherry red shrimp
Cories= corydorus catfish
Angels= angelfish cichlids
Plecos= plecostomus catfish (common pleco)
Rcs= Red cherry shrimp
Mts= Malaysian trumpet snails
Mysteries= mystery snails
Fw= freshwater/ sw= saltwater
Pt= planted tank
Goldies= goldfish
Amanos= amano shrimp

There's really so many as you research they'll become apparent. They're mostly anachronisms of the "common" name. I have a more difficult time understanding the more common text-ism abbreviations used here honestly. I'm pretty old-fashioned myself as is the fishkeeping hobby so sometimes the intersection of technology and fishkeeping can be a bit blurry. It's important to note the difference between keeping fish alive and keeping the ever-growing industry alive. They're incourageable. I make it a point to really "ride the wave" of the cutting edge and discern for myself what is pertinent to me and what's just "good for business". I'm not in this for the money and to be so is ultimately going to lead to exploitation in it's myriad of forms. Technical jargon is most often used as a means of keeping noobies out and for this reason I tend to shy away unless I think it'll help. If I really want to get technical I use only the scientific names and then we really "separate the men from the boys" as it were

The big four is a way of saying Mollies, Platies, Swordtails, and Guppies.

Back
Top Bottom