JD in a 40 breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
As topic says. Will it work? I'm planning a native tank but it's looking expensive for the fish... Would like to do this as a back up and always loved seeing JD in the LFS.

Some sites say 50 minimum others say 30 is fine for a lone JD.

He would be kept alone besides some snails maybe.

Opinions?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Jack dempseys don't do that well when put alone. They become pretty reclusive, shy, timid. They're one of the cichlids that really do a lot better and feel more comfortable in a large cichlid community tank with like-minded fish rather than shoved into the bare minimum tank size by themselves just for the sake of having a new tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I 40b is on the small size for a full grown jack. IMO. I think they better with some tankmates also

Thanks for the replies. Tank isn't really "bare minimum" if you have seen my native thread I got the tank free along with a DIY stand I'm going to build. Always loved the colors of JD but definitely don't want him to be lonely like that. I'll look into something else I guess.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
I think he would be fine alone. They don't need to be around a bunch of other fish, in fact it often becomes an issue. They'll eat any snails you try to put in there.

Regarding the native tank, what were you planning to put in there?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I think he would be fine alone. They don't need to be around a bunch of other fish, in fact it often becomes an issue. They'll eat any snails you try to put in there.

First was bluegill till I saw the potential size. Then looked at darters and saw the $10-15 each price tag. I'm 19 I got a lot of money to save than spending a bunch on fish. I already have 3 running tanks.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It becomes an issue when there are aggression issues, but a jack Dempsey truly shows itself when mixed with other fish. Not a ton, but other large semi-peaceful cichlids. They aren't a quintessential "wet pet" because of how they act when alone. While it may recognize you for food like any other fish, it won't behave like an oscar, red devil, Midas, etc. who often thrive when alone.

I would say save your money. You just added those new fish to your 75 gallon, you're working on planting that, let that be your project. I forget if you said it or someone else but somebody mentioned planning on moving out or going to school soon...the last thing you want is a bunch of tanks that you have to figure out what to do with.

I have kept several Jack dempseys and my experience is totally different than yours. I've kept mine in singles or pairs and sometimes they take a while to get settled in, but when they do they act just like any other similarly sized nw cichlid. I have also kept them in groups, especially as fry growing out.

My experience with them along with my EBJD is that some of them don't like to be with any other fish, and when some of the males mature they kill everything that can't kill them. The females are docile except when pairing up.

Last edited:
First was bluegill till I saw the potential size. Then looked at darters and saw the $10-15 each price tag. I'm 19 I got a lot of money to save than spending a bunch on fish. I already have 3 running tanks.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

There's over a dozen other sunfish that would work better. Many are in your backyard, although I think native collection there is illegal.

Anyhow some more feasible sunfish options for aquaria off the top of my head are spotted sunfish, dollar sunfish, orangespotted sunfish. Longear would work as a bare minimum single fish tank but are very territorial and hard to keep in a community.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's really a matter of opinion and the personality of the fish. It really is a last resort. I have 3 tropical tanks that's why I picked the JD because I've never kept cichlids. I actually have a big container of NLS pellets for cichlids then I went planted with my 75.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It becomes an issue when there are aggression issues, but a jack Dempsey truly shows itself when mixed with other fish. Not a ton, but other large semi-peaceful cichlids. They aren't a quintessential "wet pet" because of how they act when alone. While it may recognize you for food like any other fish, it won't behave like an oscar, red devil, Midas, etc. who often thrive when alone.

I would say save your money. You just added those new fish to your 75 gallon, you're working on planting that, let that be your project. I forget if you said it or someone else but somebody mentioned planning on moving out or going to school soon...the last thing you want is a bunch of tanks that you have to figure out what to do with.

And Nigel, I am going to school soon but I will still be at home. I haven't even built the stand yet for this tank so it won't be up like next week, it will be a while.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom