Jelly stuff stuck to tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beccy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,
I'm new here and was wondering if anyone can answer my question :confused:

I've got a small tank with 3 zebra fish and a few snails that hitched a ride with my plants! I check the water regularly and the chemical levels are really good.......

When I checked the fish tank this morning I found 5 lumps of jelly stuff stuck to the glass in different areas of the tank, they looked like/felt like egg white with little white dots inside.
Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Is it snail eggs?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like snail eggs. If you don't want snails you can start by taking out the snail eggs and go after the adult snails. I don't mind snails but that is just me, others can't stand them.

Thanks for the info, I had a funny feeling it might be snails eggs.

Yeah I do like a few snails in the tank too, it's interesting watching them 'glide' around the tank and the're great for eating up the algae......but I dont want hundreds of them!!

If you have a planted tank, the snails can be bad because they can eat your plants.

On the other hand, if the snails were MTS (which bear live young, no eggs), they don't eat the plants (except for dead/dying plants).

Scrape off the egg filled jelly stuff. Pick out any snails you can find, and see about getting something that eats snails (loach).

I had a snail scare several months ago. But it was in a betta tank. I was able to hand pick the larger snails and the betta apparently took care of the smaller ones. It took weeks before they were gone for good, so you might have to just stay at it.

That be snail egg's.

My betta didnt even notice the snails I had, I hate hitchers.

Thanks guys, I've got the eggs out that I can see but I think I need to go on snail hunt, before it gets out of hand!
Might look into buying a loach too :eek:)

That be snail egg's.

My betta didnt even notice the snails I had, I hate hitchers.

Must depend upon the betta. I've been working on a sorority, and while the girls were in the sorority tank, they were likely watching each other some much that they didn't notice the MTS in the tank.

But I moved one of them to a QT tank that had some MTS as well... and I watched as the girl picked a baby MTS right off the glass for a snack.

In the goldfish tank, I've got a lot fewer baby snails. Started with some larger ones, and the main goldfish took one in his mouth and spit it out. But I'm not finding nearly as many babies in the goldfish tank as I am the betta tank.

I have rams horn, MTS and regular pond snails in most of my planted tanks, they don't eat any of the live healthy plants only the dieing leaves and plants.

Snails are a good indicator of over feeding and water quality. If you have a population explosion cut down on the food, if you see snails trying to escape you probably need to do a water change. My favorite angelfish was saved because of MTS I noticed them trying to escape only one day after doing about a 40% water change. They city had done something with the water supply probably because of the drought, I did 2 smaller water changes and things were back to normal.

If they are pond or rams horn snails a lot of people with dwarf puffers use them as live food.

I have rams horn, MTS and regular pond snails in most of my planted tanks, they don't eat any of the live healthy plants only the dieing leaves and plants....

I seem to recall that rams horn and MTS do NOT eat helthy plants, but that pond snails do. Of course I guess it depends on the exact species of pond snail and the types of plants. Even goldfish that eat lots of plants won't touch certain varieties.

Back
Top Bottom