Jumping fish stories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night my guppy had mysteriously disappeared, and we found him all shriveled up on the floor behind the tank ?. We think he jumped out of the filter hole. Do you guys have any fish jumping stories?
Another one of mine is when I was doing some planting in my tank, my dwarf gourami jumped out of the opened lid and onto the stand- I just scooped him right back in with a net, but it scared me!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do had a black tux guppy went missing. Well found him behind the tank an stand along with a rummynose

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Had a fire eel do the same. Had another one jump into the filter and got stuck inside the filter cartridge.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had a red cherry shrimp end up on my glass cover one day, poor guy:(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yoyo loaches numerous times through gaps. Most depressing.

Previously native perch as well but that might have been tank size related.

I had a betta when I was younger. We were moving, so the fish was hanging in a Cool Whip container on the last day. He was going to be one of the last things we moved (had already had his home setup at the new house).

I walk over to the container and he's gone. I found him on the kitchen floor, dried and shriveled. I thought, dang...he's dead. That fish scared me to death and started flopping around when I grabbed him! I plopped him back in the water and he started to swim. I don't know how long he lived after, but it was quite a while.

The_Desecrator wow... My panda garras have swam up into the water part of the filter but never got stuck. Poor eel.

Interesting thing was that he was still alive. I went to clean the cartridge and I felt the pressure and him squirming

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used to not cover the top of my tank and I lost a Pictus cat.
Another time I had a silver dollar go missing and turn up behind the tank.

I have had an endler live bear. A cardinal tetra and ammano shrimp jump out. I once had a Betta that I trained to jump and catch freeze dried blood worms that I held a few inches out of the water.

Last night my guppy had mysteriously disappeared, and we found him all shriveled up on the floor behind the tank ?. We think he jumped out of the filter hole. Do you guys have any fish jumping stories?
Another one of mine is when I was doing some planting in my tank, my dwarf gourami jumped out of the opened lid and onto the stand- I just scooped him right back in with a net, but it scared me!

Two stories, both from the early 80s:

1) Woke up one morning and walked out to the living room barefoot. Big toe made contact with the rubbery remains of Mr. Plecostomus, who seemed fine the night before. Ew. :blink:

2) Doing tank maintenance, checked the HOB filter, surprised to find a cardinal tetra swimming around in the box, wondering where his friends had gone. Apparently he had picked the one good spot to leap out of his tank... :eek: :D

jordanleigh Poor betta! I can't believe he survived.
Barliman ewwww to the pleco story. I think I'd scream.

Ive had a few hatchet fish go carpet surfing. One time I was doing a water change and as I was standing there a hatchet fish few out of the tank and slapped me in the face! I got the little guy back in the tank and he was fine but it gave me a mini heart attack!

Only experience I've had is where I left for school, all fish and shrimp happy and accounted for, 7 hours later home from school I find an Amano by my bedside (10 feet from the tanks, closest to a window) Poor guy made it the whole way there. Slightly creepy but I still have that dried up shrimp sitting next to the tanks......

I had killifish. A male of A. sjoestedti was no longer there. I searched everywhere on the floor. Nothing. The Kaminfeger brought him from the roof. He lay on the mantel.

I lost one of my adf. Found him like 2 days later literally hopping across my kitchen floor! Almost 20ft from tank. He must have gotten out the tiny hole at the back of the lid. He was very dehydrated but recovered remarkably well other than a fractured foot he had no lasting damage and is alive now over 12 month later

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Many years ago I had a tank with two fancy Angelfish and an "upside-down" catfish (we always said he was from Australia).

One day I went to do my regular 25% water change/vaccum and I took off the hood and went about getting it done - then - swoosh - the upside down catfish jumped up in the air. I didn't expect it and wasn't watching but I played a lot of baseball in my youth, so just out of instinct I caught him. That fish was at least 8 or 9 inches out of the water.

I just dropped him back in the tank and he lived fine after that. So, technically, he didn't get out of the tank - but he wanted to :fish2:

I have had an endler live bear. A cardinal tetra and ammano shrimp jump out. I once had a Betta that I trained to jump and catch freeze dried blood worms that I held a few inches out of the water.

I trained my blood parrots to do that, but with mealworms instead of bloodworms

I had this happen recently but i was moving guppys from one tank to another and he jumped out of the cup i had him in. I was netting othe fish and looked in the cup he was gone. Made his way behind the tank among the cords. He is alive and well.

I hate when you catch it too late and they are dried and shriveled.
I had that happen with a betta.

When i finally got back into the hobby I had started my 20 long and every few days fish would go missing. It took me a solid week to figure it out. It was always over night, and i couldn't find any remains.
Well late one Saturday night I caught our cat fishing. She is exceptional at catching fish from the 2 inch gap at the back for equipment, so i had to make a cover that keeps her out. She is also small 6 lbs so she never fell in. She was eating all my fish for a week.

My husband likes to joke when I can't find a fish "did you check under your desk latley? How bout the cat?"

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw something squirming down the hall, it looked like a bird so I scooped it up into the dust pan. Turns out it was my dojo loach. He had jumped out and was in a completely different room covered in dust balls.

He was fine after cutting the dust off. Had him for years.

Back
Top Bottom