Jumping piranhas??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will-I-am

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've never seen it before but I put my blood parrots and albino catfish in the tank with my piranhas it seems as if they were getting along but every time I walk into the room my piranhas start the dash game shooting from one end of the tank to the other jumping came in the room one day and it shot across the tank and literally jumped out well after I put it back in it swims away and hides I've had them since they were about the size of a dime now they're about the size of a quarter
Can someone help me out with the issue all advice is appreciated and thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

piranhas are very, very "nervous" fish unless kept in large groups, 12+, in heavily planted tanks.
they may seem to be "getting along" but the piranhas behavior indicate they are at a rather high stress level with the new additions.

some plants that can cover the top and hang down a bit would be great at providing them some peace of mind, similar to the mass of rotalla(?) in my ten gallon.
it provides some shaded cover for them and they can sit/swim among them.
img_3363042_0_baa539b675add69e2fb34daf92f6153c.jpg

piranha REALLY hate being out in the open exposed unless in a large group, so every time you walk in the room, they are having a flight response to the new potential predator, you.
lots of plants will go a long way to minimize that. ;)

Thank you very much. ..and I decided to move the parrots and the catfish out so now it's only the piranhas but there's 4 so do I need more and what's the best plants and best food to get them I've been feeding them blood worms and they don't like pellets I've heard about beef hearts but haven't tried it I want to give them food that they like and not just something I feel that they should eat
Thank you in advance and for your help

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

more is always better for a fish like that, they are basically tetras after all...LOL

any plants that will be bushy/leafy like the rotalla, anacharis would be good as well so they can swim in between the stalks. Plus as mentioned, get some that will cover the top and provide a shaded area in the tank. something like a swordplant for the bottom In the open area.
Driftwood is also a good addition. That will best replicate their natural habitat, driftwood, hanging plants/roots, bushy plant areas to hide, open areas to swim/feed.

for food they need mostly a meaty diet, but will also eat plants/veggie and small bits of banana. Try things and see what they like. beef heart is a good option, either from the lfs or the butcher.
If they are reluctant to eat, live feeder fish usually work. ;)

Thanks I'm going to pick up a couple more piranhas and sum plants in a bit I'll post pics thanks again

Sent From: The Aquarium

Thanks I'm going to pick up a couple more piranhas and sum plants in a bit I'll post pics thanks again

Sent From: The Aquarium

(y)
whenever we can replicate a fishes natural habitat as close as possible we enjoy the best coloration and natural behavior of them.
If provided with safe and secure areas of the tank, they will ultimately end up spending more time out in the open.:fish2:

piranhas should be in a bigger tank nothing smaller than 40gB , smaller tanks tend to make them figity , that's probably why they are jumping , the tank also could use a cover to keep them in the tank , like PB said plants would be beneficial as piranhas like to hide, but leave plenty of space to swim around

Back
Top Bottom