Jungle or African themed Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some good fish for a jungle or African themed aquarium? The tank I am planning is a 30 gallon with a filter capable of cleaning a 40-70 gallon aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What jungle are you considering. South American or south East Asian?
Also have you looked at Australian biotopes they're really cool imo
South American is generally new world cichlids, tetras, angels and Corys (I think). South East Asian is generally barbs, gouramis, live bearers.

If you do African, check out Brevis' Shelldwellers. They work incredibly well for that biotype and tank size.

What jungle are you considering. South American or south East Asian?
Also have you looked at Australian biotopes they're really cool imo
South American is generally new world cichlids, tetras, angels and Corys (I think). South East Asian is generally barbs, gouramis, live bearers.

I'm looking at the South American mostly

If you do African, check out Brevis' Shelldwellers. They work incredibly well for that biotype and tank size.

I'll check them out! Will the filter I have be to strong for the fish?

Okay cool, I'll defiantly look into them then, are they aggressive? And do you know of any other fish that could go into that? I'm interested in at least one odd ball fish that will keep things interesting. I love fish with character!

Apistos!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407538331255.jpg
    1407538331255.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 130
Okay, he is very cool! How aggressive are they? I have some tetras and a Cory in my tank right now that I was going to move over, but I can always just leave them in the 10. I have a clown pleco also but I never see that fish.

He's in a 30 community with corys, a plecos and rn tetras.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay awesome! Are they kept individually or in groups?

And another question while I'm thinking about it, would they be alright with angels, or would they go after them like competition?

Okay cool, I'll defiantly look into them then, are they aggressive? And do you know of any other fish that could go into that? I'm interested in at least one odd ball fish that will keep things interesting. I love fish with character!

They are not aggressive. They just defend their territory (the shell). However, they do tussle a bit when picking a shell. So have plenty of those.

Also, it is best to have them in a harem so there is less competition over females.

About the apistos, unless you have one that is unusually aggro like some bettas can be, you should be okay. :)

Plants are your friend in these kinds of tanks due to the vision break if there happens to be any chasing. lol

They also do well in small groups and will establish a small territory of their own kind (Racism :p) and target feeding is a good way to go when you feed them. In fact, they don't compete well for food most of the time so they will benefit from the target feeding.

You probably won't get adults, but try to get juvies. They are much more adaptable than the adults.

Best of luck, - Raymond

Thanks a ton! That answers a lot of my questions!!!

Back
Top Bottom