Just a quick question with PWC'S and testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helloelliee

Aquarium Advice Regular
So should I test my water for ammonia and ect. before or after I do a pwc? My tank is cycling. I'm using seachem stability to speed it up. So far everything has been working and running well. I've had my tank for almost 2 weeks now. My ammonia was at 0 for a while now it's at 0.25 ppm, nitritas and natrates both have beeen at 0 since I've had the tank. I've been doing daily 25% water changes. Is there anything that doesn't sound right? This is my first time cycling a tank. Thanks!

:fish2:

Before because you're removing ammonia and nitrite and nitrate when you change the water. I wouldn't do water changes when cycling though bc the ammonia is needed for your cycle. Unless you have fish. If you don't have fish you need to dose the ammonia up to 4ppm

Edit: I meant before you change it

Yes I have fish. I did not find this site till after I was already told at the petstore that it's better to cycle with fish! Should've known better since that's what they're doing is selling fish. Okay thanks!

Oh yeah then you're doing fine. Just test before. I don't know anything about seachem stability but I like to do it without any additives bc I don't trust them.
Whenever you're cycled make sure you add fish slowly. Like a few fish then wait a couple weeks before adding more or you could have a mini cycle.

In a fishless cycle you'll add ammonia. Your levels should look like :
NH3/NH4 = 4ppm
NO2 = 0 ppm
NO3 = 0ppm (or close to it).

In 12 to 24 hours, without adding anything, if your levels look like :
NH3/NH4 = 0ppm
NO2 = 0ppm
NO3 > 20ppm,

then you tank is fully cycled. Do a big water change and add 50% or less of your stock.

epiphysis said:
In a fishless cycle you'll add ammonia. Your levels should look like :
NH3/NH4 = 4ppm
NO2 = 0 ppm
NO3 = 0ppm (or close to it).

In 12 to 24 hours, without adding anything, if your levels look like :
NH3/NH4 = 0ppm
NO2 = 0ppm
NO3 > 20ppm,

then you tank is fully cycled. Do a big water change and add 50% or less of your stock.

He has fish.

You want your ammonia and nitrite to be 0 and have some nitrate. Then you're cycled

adding stock should be a very slow process, be certain that the tank is reading constant 0s for ammonia and nitrite for a week or more before contemplating any additions. When you do start adding fish, only a few at a time, and repeat the testing process.

Helloelliee said:
Ohhh okay. My nitrate has never read above 0 and it's been 2 weeks almost :/

Its going to take a while...probably over a month. Just enjoy the fish you have already and you can also decorate the tank to make the time pass faster.

Its going to take a while...probably over a month. Just enjoy the fish you have already and you can also decorate the tank to make the time pass faster.

+1 You have a way to go yet unfortunatley. Fish-in cycles go a bit slowly. Just test the water daily and do water changes when you have nitrites and/or ammonia. Nitrites should be showing up within the next couple of weeks; they will then rise and fairly rapidly (pwc are important here too). When both nitrite and ammonia fall to 0 and stay that way on their own you are cycled. Your nitrite are 0 now b/c you haven't hit that phase yet; don't be fooled into thinking you can add more fish until they rise and then fall. If you haven't seen it there's a link in my signature: new tank with fish, that will help.

Back
Top Bottom