Just adopted a tank, stock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

endurance

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

Our friends are moving cross country for work and asked if we would take their tank. We moved everything over today and now have everything set back up and running. Since we're adopting our friends pets we obviously want to do everything we can to make sure things are happy in the tank. It's been a few years since we've had an aquarium so kind of getting back up to speed. We haven't made any changes to the set up other then to add check valves to the air lines.

It's a 55g Marineland LED tank kit from petsmart. Current stock is

1 Angelfish
6 Neon Tetras
3 Zebra Danio
2 Clown Loach
1 Pleco

There were more fish but a few months ago they said there was an Ich outbreak and they lost a couple Tetras, several Danios, a couple Loach, and the other Angelfish. I was going to add a few more Danios, but was worried there may not be enough filtration with just the Penguin 350 that's on there.

So, what's the first thing to worry about to make sure the community stays happy and healthy?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

Our friends are moving cross country for work and asked if we would take their tank. We moved everything over today and now have everything set back up and running. Since we're adopting out fiends pets we obviously want to do everything we can to make sure things are happy in the tank. It's been a few years since we've had an aquarium so kind of getting back up to speed. We haven't made any changes to the set up other then to add check valves to the air lines.

It's a 55g Marineland LED tank kit from petsmart. Current stock is

1 Angelfish
6 Neon Tetras
3 Zebra Danio
2 Clown Loach
1 Pleco

There were more fish but a few months ago they said there was an Ich outbreak and they lost a couple Tetras, several Danios, a couple Loach, and the other Angelfish. I was going to add a few more Danios, but was worried there may not be enough filtration with just the Penguin 350 that's on there.

So, what's the first thing to worry about to make sure the community stays happy and healthy?

Thanks!

My first thoughts are that the clowns will outgrow a 55g eventually, and do you know what type of pleco it is?

How are the fish in terms of compatability currently?

I've been reading that about the clowns. Will need to do something but they are still pretty small right now, about 2-3" each.

I've been googling for pictures of Plecos. My best guess is that it's a Sailfin. I can post a pic tomorrow.

At the moment all seems to be peaceful, with one exception. One of the Zebras has been chasing the other all afternoon. They were all huddled up this morning when we moved the tank but now that the gravel has settled those two have been at it continuously.

My first thoughts are that the clowns will outgrow a 55g eventually, and do you know what type of pleco it is?

How are the fish in terms of compatability currently?

This was my first thought.

Clowns grow super slow I have some myself. No pressure to find a new home by tomorrow.

I would on the other hand, get rid of the pleco. Unless you just absolutely adore it, they are powerhouses for waste. Making much more than they ever clean up.

Did you get a liquid test kit with the tank?

Caleb

Clowns grow super slow I have some myself. No pressure to find a new home by tomorrow.

I would on the other hand, get rid of the pleco. Unless you just absolutely adore it, they are powerhouses for waste. Making much more than they ever clean up.

Caleb

Definitely slow growers, I had mine in a 75g for quite a while.

Personally I'd swap the plec-if possible-for a group of cories if you're interested in another bottom feeder.

Quarantine tank!!!!!!!!!!! Use a QT so you don't end up killing off all the fish with a unknow disease from the new fish - no kidding, even if they look healthy. Horror stories, I have my own, one little fish nearly killed all my fish in a 72G. Even if you use a new rubbermaid clear type tub or 5G bucket. One of my recent new fish had internal parasites!!! But is in QT, she came from a good respected breeder.

Edit: oh, and welcome by the way!!!

Quarantine tank!!!!!!!!!!! Use a QT so you don't end up killing off all the fish with a unknow disease from the new fish - no kidding, even if they look healthy. Horror stories, I have my own, one little fish nearly killed all my fish in a 72G. Even if you use a new rubbermaid clear type tub or 5G bucket. One of my recent new fish had internal parasites!!! But is in QT, she came from a good respected breeder.

THIS^^

It may seem like a big precaution but once it's happened to you, you will never skip QT again! It's a great preventive that can save you weeks of ripping your hair out with a tank full of sick fish.

Caleb

Caleb

Good to know on the Clowns.
No, but I did buy one last night. I am going to test here shortly, will post the results. They were taking the water to a LFS and treating the tank based on what the staff said.
Personally I'd swap the plec-if possible-for a group of cories if you're interested in another bottom feeder.
Hmmmm. Are there places or people who will take a Pleco? He's about 5-6" right now.
img_3286789_0_eb924ae1df7fddab5176ae10d6532d6e.jpg

Sorry if I was unclear, we moved their tank and all their fish yesterday. They all came as one big package, I wouldn’t know which ones to quarantine from the others. These guys all survived that Ich together. I don’t think anyone is sick at the moment, just wanted to be sure I have the right amounts of breeds in there and that I’m not over stocked for the filtration.
I am going to add a sponge filter though so I have something for a QT tank down the road.

Thanks!

Ok, thanks.

My wife and I are discussing options now. Bigger tank vs letting the fish go.

And she pointed out to me that the Quarantine Tank was for the fish we WILL be adding, not the ones in there already. She's a bit quicker on the uptake than I am. :lol:

Ok, just finished testing the water. As a result of the move yesterday we changed about 50% of the water.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10-20ppm we are debating the color of orange
PH 8.2
Temp 82

I guess our water here is pretty alkaline. Given that they've been in the same water for some time now is this something I should try to adjust or let it be?

I would not recommend messing with Ph unless necessary for the type of fish you will purchase and for the fish you have I wouldn't change it. My lfs said they will basically take any common plecos. There are facebook forums for local fish enthusiasts usually so you might do a search for those. That is the type of pleco that gets 2ft long and is a poop machine. They're cool fish but yeah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't worry about pH.. Fish adapt much easier to hard water than the other way around. This is due to mineral content. Soft water fish are used to less mineral count and therefore it's easier for them to adapt to harder water as there is a plethora for them.

Caleb

I would not recommend messing with Ph unless necessary for the type of fish you will purchase and for the fish you have I wouldn't change it.
Don't worry about pH.. Fish adapt much easier to hard water than the other way around. This is due to mineral content. Soft water fish are used to less mineral count and therefore it's easier for them to adapt to harder water as there is a plethora for them.
Caleb
Good to know on the PH. Greatly appreciate the feedback.

My lfs said they will basically take any common plecos. There are facebook forums for local fish enthusiasts usually so you might do a search for those. That is the type of pleco that gets 2ft long and is a poop machine. They're cool fish but yeah.
There are a couple stores in the area that seem to have positive feedback. Going to make a few calls and see what we can work out. We spent some time looking at the cost of getting a larger tank and basically agreed that if we were going to get something that big we really wanted it to be a saltwater tank. Not quite ready for that yet.

We did stop and get a small 10G we can use as a QT when we’re ready to add a few more.

Back
Top Bottom