Just brought NLS food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishguy2727 said:
To the skeptics: Have you fed NLS exclusively for months?

Being carried in Petland, Petco, etc. is different from advertising. NLS does have advertising, but very little. Evne the advertising they do is not much more than 'this tank of fish from all over the world with vastly different diets is thriving on NLS exclusively for twelve years and counting', they let the results that their food produces speak for them.

A high quality pellet is designed by nutritionists to be a complete and balanced diet. A hobbyist feeding a hodge podge of 'natural' foods is guesswork at best and will likely not come close to what professionals can produce in a high quality pellet. Just because it is a prepared food doesn't mean it is low quality (at least not necessarily, although there are a lot of low quality prepared foods). And just because something is 'natural' (and usually far from being truly natural) doesn't make it better.

Just because it's natural it doesn't make it better? I don't wanna come across as being rude but how would u like to be fed one type of food for the rest of Ur Life. Even if it's high quality and contains all the nutrition, I'll still be quite depressed.

Hubert90 said:
Just because it's natural it doesn't make it better? I don't wanna come across as being rude but how would u like to be fed one type of food for the rest of Ur Life. Even if it's high quality and contains all the nutrition, I'll still be quite depressed.

I agree.. nls and others may be good for you. But I still enjoy variety.. and from the reaction of the fish.. they do as well. I feel as long as its all nutritionally sound for the fish.. why not mix it up.

To the skeptics: Have you fed NLS exclusively for months?

Being carried in Petland, Petco, etc. is different from advertising. NLS does have advertising, but very little. Evne the advertising they do is not much more than 'this tank of fish from all over the world with vastly different diets is thriving on NLS exclusively for twelve years and counting', they let the results that their food produces speak for them.

A high quality pellet is designed by nutritionists to be a complete and balanced diet. A hobbyist feeding a hodge podge of 'natural' foods is guesswork at best and will likely not come close to what professionals can produce in a high quality pellet. Just because it is a prepared food doesn't mean it is low quality (at least not necessarily, although there are a lot of low quality prepared foods). And just because something is 'natural' (and usually far from being truly natural) doesn't make it better.

Yes, I have fed NLS exclusively. Still do with some fish. But... I also feed Omega One to some, frozen bloodworms to some, and Kens to some. The physical appearence of the fish is the same. The health of the fish is the same (as in, no diseases, no weird stuff going on). I can't say whether it extends their life or not, since I have only been feeding NLS for about a year and 8-10 months. But, I will say that most of the better foods on the market are as good as NLS. I have yet to see one scientific study proving that NLS is better than, lets say, Omega One. I think we can all agree it's better than aqueon, tetra, wardley, and some of those cheap foods. IMO, if you're using any of the higher end foods (NLS, Omega One, Kens, Dainchi (spelling?), and some of the no name mixes), you're going to have healthy happy fish if you're doing everything else right (water conditions, etc). JMHO

Its weird. My skirt tetra won't eat the nls .. all other fish have adapted.. should be getting the hikari pellets tomorrow.. will see if its the pellet style or the taste..

Variety is not a nutrient. In some cases all it does is dilute the nitrition in one of the foods. Comparing it to the variety in human diet is pointless, we have developed the most varied diet the planet has ever known (except rats, roaches, etc.). Of course none of us would want one food from now on. But I consider nutrition more important than possible boredom (also unsupported by scientific research).

You will never see a scientific study on foods like the hypothetical one asked for. Aquarium fish are not economically important enough to get almost any research done on them. What can be shown is what NLS can achieve. Can Omega One keep Moorish Idols alive for years? Are captive bred mandarins being raised on kens? NLS has done both and much more. The results are what show that NLS is above and beyond other foods out there.

IME most people who feed it exclusively for months see a noticeable difference in their fish, if you didn't that is your experience, but it doesn't reflect the majority of the people I have talked to who have done the same.

No, I did see a difference in the fish. They colored up quite well, bred often, never got sick, grew quickly. But, what I'm saying is that I see the exact same with the other foods I mentioned. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. I do not mix foods though, except for the frozen foods I feed my apistos.

I won't fight about it, I just wanted to get my opinion and experience out there. Figured an explaination was better than just saying I dont think it's the best.

So you haven't seen a difference between NLS and the other foods you feed?

Bottom line comes down to preference .. its like saying Nike is better than Reebok.. why? Because someone says so.. individual ideals are part of life and such as life its varying. You have poor quality dog foods and high quality dog foods. As long as you pay attention to the ingredients and specific needs of your animals.. there is no such thing as best.

"The physical appearence of the fish is the same. The health of the fish is the same"

"No, I did see a difference in the fish. "

It is more than preference. Results are results. Feed NLS to mandarins, moorish idols, freshwater rays, corals, lionfish, and on and on and see if the results are no better than other foods. It is different.

Fruits and vegetables are not on the plate of the majority of fish in the wild, don't see alot of zucchini under the water being munched on. Sure there's some plant life and alage growing but those examples are just as far fetched as a processed food which is designed with the sole purpose of proper nutrition of fresh and salt water fish. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Seriously? You should see the soup I pull most of my natives out of. Granted, different species have different dietary needs, but many, especially those near the bottom of the food chain are gorging on a plant heavy diet.

My point was that there's obviously some things lost in the transition between fresh fruit/veg and a dry pellet.

As far as the industry goes, let's see what the breeders do. Pretty much all of the ones I know still feed live/thawed to promote spawning, and the pleco breeders still use vegetables. Are their methods outdated? Maybe, maybe not.

As far as the fish wanting variety like people do, I don't really think they care. I've not seen a fish get bored.

And also we have the issue of certain fish that just don't eat prepared foods. Believe me I wish my pickerel would transition to pellets, I keep trying, maybe one day.

pantherspawn said:
Bottom line comes down to preference .. its like saying Nike is better than Reebok.. why? Because someone says so.. individual ideals are part of life and such as life its varying. You have poor quality dog foods and high quality dog foods. As long as you pay attention to the ingredients and specific needs of your animals.. there is no such thing as best.

Well it is not only because SOMEONE says so, but because I have not found one person who has something bad to say about NLS. Which speaks to it's quality. Even those who are not drinking the cool-aid have nothing bad to say about it.

Vindu said:
Well it is not only because SOMEONE says so, but because I have not found one person who has something bad to say about NLS. Which speaks to it's quality. Even those who are not drinking the cool-aid have nothing bad to say about it.

I never said it was bad.. said that you can't compare quality and say on quality is better than the other. Maybe its better for one person.. but another might feel the same about his quality .. as long ad the fish are healthy and cared for.. there should be no debate.

Fishguy2727 said:
It is more than preference. Results are results. Feed NLS to mandarins, moorish idols, freshwater rays, corals, lionfish, and on and on and see if the results are no better than other foods. It is different.

OMG u are so stubborn.. Mfsrookie516 said NLS gives about the same result as other high quality brand. That is his personal experience. U have already stated ur experience with NLS and we get it u love it. U seem to be getting quite offended by the fact that other people have different opinion.

I was trying to clarify exactly what he was trying to say because as shown by my quotes he wasn't clear.

There is a difference between sharing an experience and stating it is NOT better than other foods. My point is that NLS can achieve results that other foods have yet to do (not my opinion or experience, but what has actually happened out there in total). IMO that makes it different and better. That doesn't mean that other foods will not allow great color, growth, health, breeding, etc. Obviously they will. But if we are going to discuss what is the best food I think it is more appropriate to really talk about what may or may not be the best then to simply have the attitude of 'there are lots of good foods, just randomly pick one, they are equivalent to each other'.

Fishguy2727 said:
I was trying to clarify exactly what he was trying to say because as shown by my quotes he wasn't clear.

There is a difference between sharing an experience and stating it is NOT better than other foods. My point is that NLS can achieve results that other foods have yet to do (not my opinion or experience, but what has actually happened out there in total). IMO that makes it different and better. That doesn't mean that other foods will not allow great color, growth, health, breeding, etc. Obviously they will. But if we are going to discuss what is the best food I think it is more appropriate to really talk about what may or may not be the best then to simply have the attitude of 'there are lots of good foods, just randomly pick one, they are equivalent to each other'.

But you are basing your information on what others have said.. have you kept Moorish idols and have them live longer etc?? Or is that what you've heard other people say? I'm not saying the information provided is correct or incorrect, just simply that if everyone took something and used it for someone else's word" then would they truly be doing what's best? Or would trying things from your own experience and doing what's best for your own situation be the best? Would you but a car because someone else said it was great alone.. or would you test drive many and find out what's best for you?

Then what is the point of this forum? Sharing information. It is all just what some random other person says.

The owner of NLS has kept Moorish Idols on NLS exclusively for years. Mandarins have recently been bred in captivity and they are raising them on NLS. Is anyone saying that Omega One is keeping their mandarins alive? Is anyone claiming to be raising mandarin (or equivalently challenging species) on kens?

I am also basing my opinion on my experience with the food, which is far beyond and above what I have found other foods to do.

Fishguy2727 said:
Then what is the point of this forum? Sharing information. It is all just what some random other person says.

The owner of NLS has kept Moorish Idols on NLS exclusively for years. Mandarins have recently been bred in captivity and they are raising them on NLS. Is anyone saying that Omega One is keeping their mandarins alive? Is anyone claiming to be raising mandarin (or equivalently challenging species) on kens?

I am also basing my opinion on my experience with the food, which is far beyond and above what I have found other foods to do.

U keep coming across the same point. We get it u love NLS. I think u should stop there.

Vindu said:

Going back to the original OP question, YES Vindu, NLS is a good quality food that all of us agree is top quality. And based on your last post, you will start or already started to used with your fish. So, if you feed it exclusively to your fish, let us know if you see a difference on them in the next month or two....
Good luck!
:)

Back
Top Bottom