Just can't cut the ammonia... argh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieGrrrl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all!

I am still reading higher ammonia levels and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. They seem to be between .5 and 1.5 ppm (usually around 1, the 1.5 was only once) and if it's as high as 1 I do a 30-40% PWC. I typically do this every 2 to 3 days.

I have never shown a Nitrite reading, and my Nitrates hover around 5 ppm.

Of course feeding the fishies less times per day produces less ammonia, but I certainly don't want to starve the poor things.

Any ideas or suggestions? Would like to not have to obsessively check the water twice a day anymore :wink:

How many times a day are we talking? You can get by feeding them once a day or even once every other day. Do they eat all the food or does it reach the substrate? I know you've had that tank running for a while...weird that it's not cycling.

I've been feeding them up to 3 times a day (small amounts each time) because when I got the Pandas, they were still getting used to the tank and not coming out to eat fast enough before the rest of the tank ate all the food. I'm down to twice daily, still smaller amounts. I do feed enough for some food to reach the bottom, since I have 1 golden cat, 3 pandas and a pleco. They come out and root around quickly now, and the gravel isn't filthy. When I do the PWCs, I also do a light surface vacuuming to pick up anything that hasn't gotten eaten.

Yeah, I've had this tank going since Christmas... very strange that I still can't get rid of the ammonia.

I would be testing the water every day and at the first sign of ammonia doing a water change. About 15-20% should be sufficient. Then after you do the water change, test again. If the ammonia level is still high, do another 10% change and test again. You get the picture. But like I said, I would be testing everyday and doing water changes every day if you have to. When your cycling, ammonia has a tendency to show up rather quickly until the nitrites start showing up. Then when they do finally start showing up, you want to do the same thing as far as testing everyday and doing water changes to get the level down because nitrites are deadly to fish as well, just not as deadly as ammonia. Try testing the water everyday and doing the changes daily if needed. It can take a long time to cycle the tank, but in the long run, your fish will be so much healthier. Once your nitrates show up and you can test every day with no ammonia, no nitrites and about 2-3 ppm of nitrates, your tank is cycled and you want to have 2-3 ppm of nitrates at any given time.

Moxie - Where have you been???

It's been too long since your tank was set up to have it not "cycled" yet (ammonia readings at this stage are an indication).

I would think that your testing equipment is in error (simply because of the bio-load I know you have and how long, your ammonia readings would be through the roof if the tank wasn't cycled).

Since it's been so long (and I can't remember) what are you using for tests and lastly, have you ever tested your water directly from the tap?

Hey there! Been busy with life-stuff... lining up a job, working on my website, enrolling my girl in preschool, blah blah blah :)

My tap is zero for ammonia, and I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals testing sets. I'm staying on top of the PWCs. I stopped by my LFS and talked to that guy again, he suggested using Biozyme and this Poly Filter inside the canister along with the PWCs. I haven't tested again this morning (I like to wait until the light comes on before I start fussing with them), but we'll see how the water is today.

The only thing I can think of to explain the readings is that as SOON as the ammonia becomes nitrites, nitrates swoop in and destroy it, so the ammonia's just not converting fast enough or something. Totally my guess though.

UPDATE: Ammonia tested at .5 - I'll test again this evening and see how it is.

MoxieGrrrl said:
My tap is zero for ammonia, and I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals testing sets.

Best kit that I know of...so that's not it.

The only thing I can think of to explain the readings is that as SOON as the ammonia becomes nitrites, nitrates swoop in and destroy it, so the ammonia's just not converting fast enough or something. Totally my guess though.

I guess you mean nitrosomas...no, that can't be it either.

UPDATE: Ammonia tested at .5 - I'll test again this evening and see how it is.

A complete mystery at this point. Have you ever had a test with no ammonia reading?

Yeah, back in the beginning it tested at zero. Strange, isn't it? Well, I'll keep on top of the PWCs and let ya know if anything significant happens.

I think you should try floating plants too. We have anacharis with a small goldie in a 20 long and I think it has helped (0-0->20 ; can't get Ates <20 even with multiple pwc throughout week). Bonus is your koi will probably trim some leaves off anacharis for you :) Both anacharis and hornwort are cheap at lfs or plant nurseries. HTH.

Have you tried Biospira - I haven't been around here much lately so I don't know what the current thought about that is, but last year when my tank wouldn't cycle I added it and it cycled in about a week! I know how frustrating it is when it won't cycle. I didn't have any success with the biozyme.

Back
Top Bottom