Just can't get this right!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy monkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided my stocklist months ago, after lots of research and asking on here. Since then I've had fish die cos of my inexperience, had to rehome some and now I'm finding all sorts of things wrong with the compatibility of almost every fish I google.

My tank is a 165 litre (43 us gallons) bowfront. Original stocklist was-
7 x pearl danios
10 x harlequin rasboras
6 x Congo tetra
5 x dwarf rainbowfish
1 x kribensis
5 x Panda cory

I currently have 7 congo tetras and a bn pleco.

The pandas all died one by one after water changes, they're too sensitive for me. The danios chomped at my congos killing one and had to be rehomed.

I've spent the morning googling and researching, seems that every fish is incompatible in some way with my current stock (which is also questionable!). Apparently the rasboras are too small and my congos will eat them, I was going to get a pair of peacock gobies but apparently they're fin nippers, the krib will probably be too territorial, and the congos may well be too big for my tank so I don't know whether I should add anything at all!

I'd really love some help and guidance with this, choosing fish used to be fun, now it's a minefield!

What are your water test results?
What filter are you using?
Did you cycle the tank at the beginning?

All parameters at 0 (including nitrates which apparently is either because of diatom algae or it bring understocked, was discussed in another thread), pH is at 8.0 (used to be a steady 7.6 but again the algae could have increased it)

Did a fish in cycle so wouldn't want to add lots of fish at once, just a few at a time.

The filter is built into the tank, aquastyle 850. Here's a link to the info about the tank-
http://www.aquaone.co.uk/documents/850980lowres30px.pdf

Your tank should be showing nitrAtes. When I first started with my tank I had the same issue. I was showing zero nitrAtes.

Turns out I wasn't shaking the second reagent bottle enough for the nitrAte test. Once I REALLY shook that bottle, my test results showed nitrAtes.
My pH had been falling and I couldn't figure out why.

Are you using API test kit?

As you can see below, my nitrAte test was zero but only because I didn't shake the second bottle enough.

large.jpg

Your tank should be showing nitrAtes. When I first started with my tank I had the same issue. I was showing zero nitrAtes.

Turns out I wasn't shaking the second reagent bottle enough for the nitrAte test. Once I REALLY shook that bottle, my test results showed nitrAtes.
My pH had been falling and I couldn't figure out why.

Are you using API test kit?

As you can see below, my nitrAte test was zero but only because I didn't shake the second bottle enough.

Thanks but this issue has been discussed, yes it's api, yes I'm shaking the bottle till my arms feel like they're dropping off, yes I'm following the instructions, yes I bought a new test kit to make sure it wasn't out of date, the new test kit was exactly the same and the date is 2017, was sealed til I opened it.

Sorry to sound snippy but this has no relevance to my actual question. If you want to see the original discussion about my nitrates it's titled "Zero nitrates?". I can't link to it on my phone.

Thanks but this issue has been discussed, yes it's api, yes I'm shaking the bottle till my arms feel like they're dropping off, yes I'm following the instructions, yes I bought a new test kit to make sure it wasn't out of date, the new test kit was exactly the same and the date is 2017, was sealed til I opened it.

Sorry to sound snippy but this has no relevance to my actual question. If you want to see the original discussion about my nitrates it's titled "Zero nitrates?". I can't link to it on my phone.

Had I known I would have answered differently. Yes, a reference to the other thread would have worked. Good luck with it. It's always frustrating to lose fish.

First thing to understand is that not all fish can go together. I know it sounds like a simplistic statement but that's the facts. It's why many people create species only tanks (and why it is very difficult to only have 1 fish tank. lol) Your original selection is not really ideal as the fish are all from different areas and needs so it might explain the problems. The Congo Tetras and Krib are african in nature so they are a bit more aggressive for the fish like the Rasboras. The Rasboras should mix well well with the rainbows even tho they are not both from the same area but they are of the same temperment.
I would consider reassessing your tank's selection if you want to have a more harmonious setup. As for adding any new fish to this group, I think you need to delete some more than adding any more. You have to remember that your fish will grow and when they do, will need more space so they will make that by eliminating other fish in the tank that are in their way.
Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

Hope this helps.

(FYI: A falling ph is a good sign of a rising nitrate level, no matter what the test kits say ;) )

Ardynas, as I said I'm sorry I sounded snippy, it is frustrating :-(

Andy, thanks, I appreciate that. When you say to reduce my numbers do you mean from my original list? I think that list has gone out the window now, I just can't think what to put with my congos and bn pleco to make it an active, attractive community.

I could just play safe with other tetras and platies, but I'd love to have something a little bit odd in there too (like the peacock gudgeons), but I'm struggling to find a final stocklist that works well. Plus I'm still a little anxious that some web pages say I'm already overstocked with 7 congos, am I really?

Just googled congos they are beautiful! I was a little confused above do you have no more Cory's? If not how about getting a small group of kribs an seeing if any pair up? (Since the kribs will develope territories on the bottom)Then you could keep a pair and the congos since they are so pretty. Not sure how it would work with adding more kribs though as far as aggression and your biological filter maybe add slowly and see what happens? Not sure... I don't know how big congos get so I don't really know what would be appropriate to add to that group.

Good to know I'm not stocked already!

No, I did have pandas but they were too sensitive for my clumsiness and all died after water changes. All I have is the congos and bn pleco, and I'm rethinking my original stocklist cos I keep finding things wrong with every fish I google.

Kribs were one of my original choices, but apparently they fin nip and I don't want to risk the congos with them, unless they only nip at smaller fish?

Just googled congos they are beautiful! I was a little confused above do you have no more Cory's? If not how about getting a small group of kribs an seeing if any pair up? (Since the kribs will develope territories on the bottom)Then you could keep a pair and the congos since they are so pretty. Not sure how it would work with adding more kribs though as far as aggression and your biological filter maybe add slowly and see what happens? Not sure... I don't know how big congos get so I don't really know what would be appropriate to add to that group.

Theyre at the top of their list and dont compare to any other tetra. Google them all you want, words or pictures will never prepare you for the absolute pure majesty of seeing congos in the flesh, they grow to 3.5inchs. Which for a schooling tetra is just huge.

I saw them literally for the first time today and it made me rethink my peacock cichlid tank. I even started a thread. Peacock vs congos lol.

Good to know I'm not stocked already!

No, I did have pandas but they were too sensitive for my clumsiness and all died after water changes. All I have is the congos and bn pleco, and I'm rethinking my original stocklist cos I keep finding things wrong with every fish I google.

Kribs were one of my original choices, but apparently they fin nip and I don't want to risk the congos with them, unless they only nip at smaller fish?

I dunno I just googled the two and it seems like on a couple other forums/blogs people recommend congos with kribs so I wouldn't worry about that unless you notice an issue. A krib lover actually wrote had an article and the first dither fish he recommended was congos. It's really the luck of the draw with any fish though. I've had platys nip like mad on my angels dorsal fins and I had never heard of platys being nippers before...so it's all about trying it and seeing what happens. Part of what makes it hard is since the congos have longer fins worrying about Other options nipping.

I dunno I just googled the two and it seems like on a couple other forums/blogs people recommend congos with kribs so I wouldn't worry about that unless you notice an issue. A krib lover actually wrote had an article and the first dither fish he recommended was congos. It's really the luck of the draw with any fish though. I've had platys nip like mad on my angels dorsal fins and I had never heard of platys being nippers before...so it's all about trying it and seeing what happens. Part of what makes it hard is since the congos have longer fins worrying about Other options nipping.

Yeah I guess that's true, I'd never heard of danios being aggressive til mine were. Ok so a couple of kribs are on the list, I'll have to add those last cos of the territory issues so now it's just finding something else to add, unless the kribs make me stocked? I'm uncertain of everything now lol!

I'd love a schooling/shoaling group, my congos seem to dither more than anything else, but neons are too small. I thought about maybe a barb of some kind, possibly cherry?

Ardynas, as I said I'm sorry I sounded snippy, it is frustrating :-(

Andy, thanks, I appreciate that. When you say to reduce my numbers do you mean from my original list? I think that list has gone out the window now, I just can't think what to put with my congos and bn pleco to make it an active, attractive community.

I could just play safe with other tetras and platies, but I'd love to have something a little bit odd in there too (like the peacock gudgeons), but I'm struggling to find a final stocklist that works well. Plus I'm still a little anxious that some web pages say I'm already overstocked with 7 congos, am I really?

This is the problem I see: Congo Tets are from Africa and get a bit larger and more aggressive than Tets from SA like Bloodfins, Silvertips, Penguins, etc. and Rasboras. So to say you are just going to add some more Tetras might not be a good idea. You need to stay with other fish that are of similar temperment and similar requirements. For me, that sounds like more Congos or S.A. Tets like BA Tets HOWEVER BAs get aggressive if not housed properly which leads to.........
As for whether you are overstocked with just 7 Congos, it all depends on the dimensions of the tank. A standard 40 Gal tank is 48" long x12" High x 12" wide. It can handle a school of 7Congos very well. HOWEVER, if the tank were 24" long x 24" wide x 24" high, it would still be 40 gals but not enough swimming space for the 7 Congos once fully grown. I don't believe bowfront tanks are very long which might be the problem. (I'm old fashioned and like straight lines :D:lol:) You might want to consider replacing the Congos with more smaller schools of SA varieties which will mix well but not require the bigger space. (Just an idea ) Or keep the Congos and work with other fish that will inhabit the base area of the tank so as to not compete with the Congos for swimming area. The gudgeons might get too big for the tank (again, it's tank space not gallons of water that matter here) but if you get some variety that stays smaller, you should be okay. Maybe more Kribs or possibly a dwarf bachir might fit in for now. They are unusual and not too aggressive towards a fast swimming Tetra.
I'd suggest you spend some time at the local Pet shop or public library and see what fish come from what areas and how best to mix them.

Hope this helps (y)

Not totally sure on barbs, since I keep angels I've always read barbs are nippers so I've avoided them. And since the congos have those pretty fins I would research that a bit before deciding if barbs are a good option. Maybe replacing the congos is the way to go so you can mix up your schooling fish a bit....

Ok thanks a lot for all your input, I'll get a couple of kribs, hopefully the LFS will get some where I can determine the sexes and get a proper pair, and I'll leave my stock alone then! :)

Just leaves me deciding whether to go dwarf puffers or shell dwellers in my 60 litre now! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom