Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just found a baby fish in my tank! Thought i had all males!

What? I'm litterally in shock! I thought i had all males in my tank. I'm new to the aquarium world and the little i know is just basics, nothing about pregnant fish or babies (or whatever they're called).

I don't know who's it is and what to do with it. I randomly saw it, it's been in a very good hiding space that's really dark and i can't get a good look at it--only a silhouette really.

The other thing that is scaring me is that i just put a fish down last night b/c he had a crooked spine that might have been TB. I thought my tank was/is sick with something. Now i find a baby fish, so someone was pregnant & are there more?

I tried to get a pic of it, but it's not very good & i can't figure out how to "paste the URL" from my computer. I guess i'm not so tech savvy either!

Reagan

Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Congrats!
What kind of fish do you have in the tank?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 2 neon tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 white skirted tetras, 1 creamsicle molly, 2 pot bellied mollies, 2 danios and 3 plats (1 mm and 1 red wag). 29 gallon tank. do i do anything special with a baby? or just let it keep hiding out? sounds like a dumb question, but how do i know who's it is? i also have a speckled molly in isolation right now b/c he was swimming vertical this morning w/his head down and spinning in circles. i'm so confused by these fish!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaygunK
I have 2 neon tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 white skirted tetras, 1 creamsicle molly, 2 pot bellied mollies, 2 danios and 3 plats (1 mm and 1 red wag). 29 gallon tank. do i do anything special with a baby? or just let it keep hiding out? sounds like a dumb question, but how do i know who's it is? i also have a speckled molly in isolation right now b/c he was swimming vertical this morning w/his head down and spinning in circles. i'm so confused by these fish!
If you want to keep him you could put him in a breeder net or put him in a different tank so that no one will eat him. You can feed him crushed flakes, I'll need to see a pic to find out what it is.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok here is the best pic I can get. He is the tiny thing above the white shell. Also, I only have a fish bowl, not another tank, but I would love to keep him! I've already lost him in the tank too (can't find him) How will I ever catch him to get him by himself? :/ Do you think there are more? Do fish just have 1 fish?

Attachment 85027
Old 03-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

It kind of looks like a platy to me. What do you think?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put some java moss down in the tank for him to hide in. Then you don't have to worry about isolating him in a net or anything. He'll consume the micro nutrients in the plant life until he can eat crushed flakes.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow that is one blended in fish. I can't tell what kind it is, could be one of your livebearers. It could have been that the rest were eaten or in hiding.
This is what I do to catch the little buggers: take everything out or at least move them when your ready to net him, grab them with a net gently. That is what has worked for me. Secret is to go slow.
If you don't have a breeder net, cutting a milk carton in half and poking small holes in it(small enough to where it can't get out) and clip it to the side of the tank.

Another option is to put lots of ground and surface coverage for him. I usually have a few cheap plastic plants on hand and pop the leaves off and just let them float in the tank. Until you can get him anyways
Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm now trying to figure out which fish is the female. Does this Molly look like a female to you? it's the one in isolation for the crazy behavior.

Attachment 85031
Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaygunK
I'm now trying to figure out which fish is the female. Does this Molly look like a female to you? it's the one in isolation for the crazy behavior.
That one is a female.

Tags
baby, baby fish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com