Just found a Bladder Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haven88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there, hope I can get some good advice :)

I have 10Gal with 7 golden red tail white clouds, 2 bettas, 1 golden mystery snail.

I found a bladder snail ( pretty sure from google results ) on my floating Riccia Fluitans Anubias. I always knock it down every day to get the left over food that collects on it... Well today I noticed a black thing and I took a closer look and noticed it was a snail with brown spots.. So I did some googling and figured out that it's a bladder snail.

I'm not sure if I will see more or not in the next few days or not because this one is a decent size, probably half a pinky finger nail size.

SHOULD I KEEP IT?

I took it out immediately and put it in a different cup with aquarium water.

Thanks for the help.

Snails can be a great clean up crew and are part of a natural tank environment. But if there is an over abundance of food they can rapidly reproduce. Keep an eye on their numbers. If you want to figure out how many you have, put a small piece of green leaf lettuce in the tanks weight it down. They will flock to it. This will also allow you to remove them if there are too many.

If you found one, you will probably find more. I believe they are considered pest snails much like ramshorn. They can have population explosions and can eat your plants. since you already have a mystery snail I say crush it/kill it....unless you can give it to someone that might want it or give it to a fish store. DO NOT RELEASE INTO WILD!

Good luck!

If you found one, you will probably find more. I believe they are considered pest snails much like ramshorn. They can have population explosions and can eat your plants. since you already have a mystery snail I say crush it/kill it....unless you can give it to someone that might want it or give it to a fish store. DO NOT RELEASE INTO WILD!

Good luck!

No worries about the wild release. I always garbage my aquatics but I also live in northern Canada where only special cold weathered animals can survive. They might sprout in the sewer system but there's no chance of survival in the waters up here.

I'll keep watching this thread and see if I should keep it or not.

I hear the explosion in population is only due to over-feeding the fish.

Edit: I thought they only eat dead plant matter?

I haven't had them eat plants if there is algae or other things to eat. Once I tried to starve them out and then they went for the plants.

I haven't had them eat plants if there is algae or other things to eat. Once I tried to starve them out and then they went for the plants.

How big was your tank and how many do you think you had?

Little bugger is sitting in cup right now... should or should I note release him back into the wild?(my aquarium)

I like them I always make sure I have plenty in my tanks. Google and make your own decision.

There are definitely 2 very different opinions on the value of snail. I was lazy and overfed and waited too long before handling. But now I have snails in all of my tanks and they leave my plants sparkling clean. I watch watch watch my feeding and their numbers.

Okay guys.. I'm going to release him back into the wild (my aquarium)

I also love having snails in the tank. I actually welcomed a few that came in with plants and am going to restock my malaysians after fish meds killed them off

I love them in my tank! People consider them pests but I disagree. They only eat your plants if your tank has no algae or any other sort of decaying matter, fish food, etc. People mistakenly think they eat live plants - they'll only eat dying leaves - which is great for keeping your plants looking good!

I assume your tank is divided? Or was the 2 Bettas a typo?

Haha...Nope! They are in there together, 1 male and 1 female. I have the tank next to my computer where I spend a lot of time and I'm always watching and ready to take out once and if ever the aggression gets out of control :lol: I'm starting to see courting.

Back
Top Bottom