Just freaked out my Gouramies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAGlocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lol. I cant belive that I just did this, but it totally freaked out my Gouramies. Bought a new CF for my 20gal today, put it on there, soon as I turned it on, my Gouramies kind of spazed out. Couple of hours later they are fine. Think I may have blinded them or had too much Actinic on there for their taste till they got used to it. Course I shouldnt really have put those two 72 watt CF's on that tank, but anyway. Whats a guy to do. lol.

You put 144 watts of light on a 20 gal tank???

Thats like the sun blowing up for those poor fishes eyes 8O

You have 144 watts on a 20 gallon tank???? That's over 7 watts per gallon!! You're beyond the high-light range....more like the surface of Mercury range!!! Is there any way to turn one of those bulbs off?? If you're going to try to grow plants in there I hope you have a SERIOUS CO2 setup ready to go!!

Tank is already heavily planted, and yeah I run CO2 on all my tanks. As for turning the bulbs off, yeah I can do that. I actually added the other set up with strictly Actinic bulbs, actually have those staggered on and off durning the day. And yeah I knwo its 7.2 wpg. On most of my tanks I have between 5 to 6.5 wpg with no probs so far, longest been up is going on a year now.

I'm surprised they don't break the laws of physics and ignite and catch on fire underwater. :? 8O 8O

Yeah they do pretty good lol. Only problems I have with my plants is keeping them from taking over the tanks, and keeping the fish from eating them lol. I also dose ferts almost every day with that, but I like the looks of them. But as for the lights, on the smaller tanks, I dont usually run that high of a wpg. Usually have one set come on at like 6am. then that set turns off at 11am. Then, like on this tank, I will have the second CF fixture come on at 3pm and it turn off at 930pm. Course I have a small(15 watt strip) I have set up and behind the tank that comes on at 930 and goes off at 6am. Amazing you aim it to the back wall, and it barely lights the tank up enough to see if the fish move at night. lol. Course my elec. bill isnt low either.

Hey, speaking of Gouramis , I have a question.

I am reading that Opaline Gouramis are peaceful and do well in a community tank. But does this include to other Opaline Gouramis, maybe if they were smaller?

I was at the fish store and I noticed this one slightly larger Opaline Gourami was giving the smaller one hell. He wasn't letting up either.

With opaline gouramis, the conventional wisdom is to have either one or three or more in a tank, the theory being that three or more spreads the aggression out more evenly. They are territorial, and although I've not seen any nipping with mine, constantly being chased is stressful for a less dominant fish. If you have three or more, keep the females at least two to one to the males.

Well like stoney said, thats the conventional theory. I have 3 Opalines in my tank along with two Pearls. With the Opalines, I have two males with one female, plus the two female Pearls. They all seem to get along fine, even the smaller of the three Opalines. Every once in a while they will all chase each other around the tank and through the plants, not sure if they are having fun or running each other out of their territories.

I've also got three Blue (Opaline/Cosby) Gouramis, Trichogaster trichopterus in my tank...1 male and 2 females. They definitely have a 'pecking' order set up. The male chases both females and the larger of the two females chases the smaller one. To this point they've never done any damage at all to each other but it can definitely be stressful (mainly to me!!!) for all the chasing to be going on. All three of the gouramis are doing very well so I'm not particularly concerned.

ya kno wut petland sux
i paid 3.40 for a dwarf gourami and its a 24 hour gaurentee and 3 days later they die
they say all this crap and i find out that wal mart sells em for 1.80 so im never going to petland anymore
wal mart has a better gaurentee then them!!!! 24 hours wal mart has 72 and pet smart has 96

I personally wont buy a fish from any store that doesnt have at least 14 days on their live animal returns

ive never seen a pet store that has 14 days man where the heck to u shop and i thought 4 days was good

god man where the heck do you shop the highest ive ever seen is 4 days (petsmart)

local pet store where I buy all my live fish from has a 14 day return policy, as long as your water comes up within what they call acceptable levels, which is basically 0 ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and lower than 20 ppm nitrates.

i called all about 6 fish stores but one closed down and i didnt know and it turned into a school and i asked them how long their gaurentee was lol and they said it was a school hahahaha... but 2 places had 7 days petsmart had 14 petco had 15 and petland had 1 day

Back
Top Bottom