Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

just got a new Polypterus palmas

just got a new Polypterus palmas to day. its about 3-1/2 " long (approximately), and is one of the coolest fish i have seen at my lfs. dose any one else out there have one of these. how fast do they grow?

Old 02-10-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Polypterus palmas, the Shortfin or Marbled Bichir, regardless of the subspecies (P. palmas polli, P. palmas palmas or P. palmas buettikoferi) is a great fish! Though I don't have any of them now, I used to keep many species of Polypterus and never met one I didn't like.

At 3 1/2 inches yours is just a baby!! They get up to about 12 inches when fully grown. The growth rate will depend on how heavily you feed him. He probably won't reach his mature size for at least a year or two. Polypterids are very long-lived, possibly as long as 30 years, so be prepared to have him around for a while!!!

All Polypterus are carnivorous and will do their best to catch any fish that they can swallow, especially when the lights are out. They are also consummate escape artists so a well-covered tank is a must! When they get large it is generally a good idea to weight the top so they can't push it open.

Great find!!!

Old 02-10-2004, 01:07 AM   #3

thanks fruitbat. i was amazed that any of the lfs in the moscow pullman area would have one of these. one of my buddies told be there was one the the fish store in pullman and i went and got it right after class. picked it up for $15 is that a good price for him?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:28 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
bichir

I just got a baby Nile bicher. So cute, it is also a wee baby.
eats everything! Bloodworms, brine, pellets, sardine, scallop, shrimp, perch. The list climbs. I bought a frozen package of baby sand gobies at the market I frequent. I cannot imagine them for human consumption except as a soup.. ^.^ I'll feed him those next month.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:57 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

sharkthevandal....

$15 is an EXCELLENT price for any Polypterid!! I usually see palmas going for $30.00 around here....if they ever show up for sale!
Old 02-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
P. palmas is hard to find!! P. senegalus meridionalis are usually sold under the name P. palmas erroniously. Check out pics of both on the net to make sure you really have P. palmas. If you do not, you're looking at a 1.5-2 foot Polypteriform rather than 1 foot one.

Mind you, I disagree with fruitbat a little ... I find Polypterus spp. for $10-15 all the time in NYC (I suppose this is a better area to buy, though), and got my P. senegalus and P. senegalus meridionalis for $12 or so. They were both about 7 or 8 inches when I got them. For a true P. palmas this is a good price, though!!

Polypteriforms are very cool!! Check out the ropefish if you've never seen one before.

My brother and his wife live in Pullman. What store did you go to? That'd be so funny if you go to the same place they go to!
Old 02-10-2004, 05:12 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I wish polypterids came into the Dallas area more frequently...then they would be cheaper. I've seen P. senegalus fairly often in the $12 - $20 range. The last P. palmas palmas I saw was $30. One of my lfs has two tiny P. ornatipinnis that they're asking $39.95 apiece for. If I had my soon-to-be-acquired 75gallon tank right now I'd snap them up that that price!! Of course, P. ornatipinnis is one of the larger polypterids and would eventually be cramped in a 75 gallon.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #8

madasafish,
i got this guy at barnacle bills, but i normally go to pet service center in moscow.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
That's the one!! Yeah, my bro had to trade his angelfish into Barnacle Bill's (is it a chain, or is the only store?) a while back because of aggression.

Cool
Old 02-13-2004, 02:35 AM   #10

yea it's a pretty good store. it get's some pretty rare fish some times it had a black arowanna a few months back. it is the only store not a chain.

Tags
polyp, polypterus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com