Just got A Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a lg Plecostomus from walmart.
They are considered Common Pleco.
Can anyone elaborate Common Plecostomus?
I understand lg means Large.
Say it can get up to 20"

Wat size tank is it? Yes they get BIG! And they eat algea though if theres none in ur tank you may want algea wafers they are sold almost everwere so yea idk bout anythin else

Actually, common pleco's are worthless for eating algae when they get any size to them. The babies will eat it, but they really prefer meatier foods. A bristlenose or two would be a much better option for a 75. They eat algae all their lives, and won't outgrow the tank.

The common pleco is said to max out at nearly 2 feet in length. Like Todd said, they are not the best algae eaters, instead they prefer to eat the flakes and things that other fish eat once they grow up a little. They have a huge bioload and tend to be a little bossy sometimes (particularly about their food). They do fine at the standard tropical temperature (72 to 8o degrees). 75 is the bare minimum tank size I have ever seen recommended for them. Often, people say a 90 to 125 gallon is better because of their adult size.

Back
Top Bottom