Just got back from Walmart.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duydawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've visited 2 super walmarts and have left very sad each time. :(

I was in search of a dwarf puffer, but came across many many overcrowded unhappy fishes.

Today I went to see what a local super walmart had in stock and found an awesome male betta. Not sure exactly what species it was, but when I waved my finger infront of his little bowel, he was very responsive but very shy. I wanted to buy him so badly, but unfortunately, my 10 gallon tank is not finished cycling.

I went to the customer service to ask how often they get shipment of fishes and nobody I asked could provide an answer. They didn't even seem to care.

I honestly wanted to steal the betta fish. :fish2: But I didn't.

EDIT: I noticed that they had some large plants on sale for about $5.37, which is about the price of a small to medium sized plant typically sold in petsmart/petsupermarket/petco. Does anyone have advice on how to identify a healthy plant? Are a few missing chunks of leafs a big deal?

Don't blame the Walmart employees for not knowing anything about them. The person who tends to and stocks the tanks is probably contracted. A Walmart a couple ten miles away from me used to have a stocked fish department but when I asked the manager about it he said they contract a LFS to deal with it and he had no idea what was in the tanks.

The Betta in a cup at your house would still get better care than a Betta in a cup at Walmart, while you are waiting for the tank to cycle.

Walmart employees have no clue about the fish most of the time. They sold two gorgeous, bright yellow fish to my mom for her 2 1/2 gallon tank. Didn't know what they were called but was sure they'd be fine. They were African Cichlids. I'm sure you can guess what happened.

Just the other day my daughter and I were in Walmart and they had an empty betta cup with three or four dead fish in it just sitting there on the shelf. I can't even imagine why they would do that.

I always find at least one dead fish in each of the tanks at the Walmart here. And the guy told me I could put mollies in with a betta. Ranting will follow from other people.

Back
Top Bottom