Just got sand now what??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jefe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought fresh water sand now what? How do i add it in what do I gotta do?

Is stocked 55 gallon replacing gravel any tips?

Attachments

• image-1695333734.jpg
    image-1695333734.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 88
I think Mumma asked some valid questions. In order to give correct advice and help along we to know a few things.

Last edited by a moderator:
However you decide to go about it... Rinse the sand well with warm water. If the sand is cold when you put it in the tank it will drop the temp very fast. Also, if it is too warm it will raise the temp fast.

Ok and it's a 55 gallon and stocked and replacing gravel

Ok and it's a 55 gallon and stocked and replacing gravel

Ok... So the advice Blert gave is on point. Are you going to keep the fish in while changing out? How many fish and what kind?

When I did mine, with a little help from my fish buddy who owns his own store. He took my guys out and removed all the gravel. It was a nasty nasty task. The gravel had so much debris in it.

We kept battery powered air stones in 5 gallon buckets for the fish. Ran the filters during the exchange. After the sand was all put in, we changed out all the filters (leaving old media on place) put putting in new sponges. The water took some time to clear but the end result was awesome.

It took about 3 hours to add 100+ pounds of sand and take out that much gravel.

I'm thinking of keeping them in there I have 2 aqua clears running I think yet will be fine got a black ghost loachs a red tail sharks and some angels

I'm thinking of keeping them in there I have 2 aqua clears running I think yet will be fine got a black ghost loachs a red tail sharks and some angels

You most certainly do it while the fish are in. Just monitor your parameters as you clean the gravel out your going to stir up a lot of "stuff"

You may have to do a few water changes after.

Ok sounds good to me thatnks it will clear up after a while?

Thanks I just finished came out good!

Attachments

• image-2162977289.jpg
    image-2162977289.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 65
Thanks! Should I add more sand or should that be good enough?

looks good as is but if you really wanted to you could add enough to be 3in. in height...that is a personal preference though

Back
Top Bottom