just lost another cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got this 10 gallon tank (see signature) that I can't seem to keep corys in. I've lost 4 panda corys and 2 long-finned albino corys in this tank in 3 months. I check the water parameters and I don't get any ammonia or nitrite to show up and the nitrates are between 30 - 40 ppm. They seemed to expire soon after a 30% PWC. I've got blue rams, neons, and a dwarf gourami that all seem to do well. Could it be a specific toxin?

Oh yeah. I use Stress Coat dechlorinator at just above the recommended dose. I make sure the water I add back is very close to the same temp as the tank. I usually swirl water some after I add the dechlorinator. Most times I add the dechlorinator to the bucket and then fill up my bucket with water that I'm adding to a tank.

My inital thought is that the problem might be the Stress Coat. It contains aloe which might be harmful to some bottom dwelling species. It isn't necessary to use a product like that anyway. :wink:

That is just the dechlorinator that my lfs uses and told me to use. What is the safest dechlorinator to use (other than letting water sit out in the light and aerate)?
The Stress Coat aloe thing is a definite possibility. I use it to dechlorinate my 29 gallon tanks and, even though my corys do well in them, the amout of aloe is probably diluted enough to be less toxic.

When I pulled the fish out and examined it, I noticed that the left side of the fish just behind and a little below the left pectoral fin was raised and inflamed. Any thoughts on this?

I used the forum search funtion and found many posts concerning unexplained cory deaths. I saw one post in particular that described my situation quite well.
It was posted by Todd2 on Oct 4, 2004. My pH is 7.6-7.8, although tankgirl indicated she has no problems at pH 7.4.

Another important note (I keep remembering these things as I go along) :oops: , all of these corys were smaller than others I've purchased and the last 2 had not been in the store long. I'm embarassed :oops: b/c I just posted on the benefits of waiting for fish at the lfs. I did buy them before I posted that though.

I'm gonna leave the 10 gallon alone b/c it has enough fish (had too many) anyway.

Even though fish deaths (cories or other), can seem to be a mystery, there are always reasons. Examining the aquarium environment is a good place to start. If you suspect the tank is overcrowded check your nitrates.

Now about buying fish that haven't been at your lfs very long............ When the distributer ships to the lfs, the fish may be drugged or starved prior to shipment. They do this to reduce the fishes waste production while being transported in those little plastic bags. Individual fish may or may not recover from the shipping procedure. Just another reason IMO not to buy newly arrived fish at the lfs.

I would trust any dechlor that removes chloramines and does not contain an additional additive (such as aloe). Overdosing anything can be potentially harmful to your fish.

Back
Top Bottom