just put sand in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_22

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just switched from gravel to sand in my 55 and now i noticed two of my columbian sharks are not swimming around much, they are mainly just resting on the bottom... breathing is okay, and they are eating, could this be stress from the change?i will keep an eye on them, but i was just wondering what everyone else thinks...

I am willing to bet that it was just the stress of the situation. My fish did that when i moved them from gravel to sand in a previous tank. Took 24 hours before they got back to normal

I'd have to agree, stress is the most likely cause. It's like moving out of your house to another house. You took what they were familiar with and put in something unfamiliar, not to mention all the movement.

Well your problem is already solved but I will just chime in anyways and say that my columbian did the exact same thing. I have to ask you though (hopefully you come back to this thread).

Do your columbians swim all over the tank, or do they mostly stay swimming in 1 place? What size tank? What size are the fish?

Thanks,
-flipz

my columbians are about 4.5 inches, and generally will swim around, but you can definatley notice that they have their own territory....
and its a 55gallon
how about yours?

I started off with two of them in a 10, and as they grew ended up with the 2 in a 30. Unfortunatly 1 grew larger than the other and picked on the smaller one until it passed. I kept her alone for about 6 months until I managed to find another columbian her size, which went good for about 6 months until she again picked on the smaller one until it too passed. I have since just put a common pleco in the tank which stays out of her way.

My problem is that she has ALWAYS basically swam in one spot. In the small tanks it was by a biological bubbler in the corner. She just swim's 24/7 in the same spot except when she's eating (which my avatar... that's her). Now since I've taken that bubbler out she swims 24/7 at the output of the HOB filter. It's like she's always trying to swim against a current. I put a small pump from a water fountain in there before to create a good current, but she still never moved from the spot (again, except for when she's eating).

I have never been able to figure it out. I do know that she needs a bigger tank, but I am a college student and have to move the tank 4 times per year between school and home, so a bigger tank isn't an option. She still has PLENTY of room to swim around, but still I know she needs bigger. I graduate this year and will be moving somewhere for good. I actually already have the 55g that I'll be putting her in (and will later upgrade to a 100g). It's just a waste of time for me to set it up right now.

Anyways, I've had her for over 3 years and she has been nothing but healthy. It's nothing wrong with my water params as the tank is stable and I've never had any problems. This is something she has always done since a few months after getting her.

-brent

Edit: She is 6.5" right now. How long have you had yours?

Alright, great. Now I won't worry so much. I do want her to have more tank mates, but she is just too aggressive! Hopefully when she gets her bigger tank we'll see.

I have to ask... from end of November to now and yours are 4.5" ? Wow... how large when you got them?

Thanks again,
-brent

Back
Top Bottom