Just recieved 3 new puffers.... a few questions????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aimeovaldi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just recieved 3 juvenile puffers, a south american, leopard and dwarf. What is the best food to feed them? I have never had fresh/brackish puffers before, neither have I had puffers this small. The dwarf is about 1", leopard about 2' and the s.a. about 1.5". I bought them online (ebay) and they seem healthy and happy. I have been feeding them mysis shrimp and tubifex worms. I will keep them in a 10g until they grow a little and then move them into a larger tank. Any suggestions concerning the care and rearing of young puffers would be greatly appreciated.

dwarfs and sa's are freshwater. i bought my green spotted as a leopard which is a common mislabling. the green spotted is a brackish puffer, the leopard i think is fresh. i feed mine both frozen and dried bloodworm, frozen and dried shrimp, and meal worms (he LOVES mealworms). keep the water quality up and do a lot of water changes as they tend to be messy.

Frozen krill works well. Also, if you can get some small snails, they will go nuts over them. The shells serve to help keep their teeth worn down too. If you listen closely when you put the snails or shrimp in, you can hear them crunching it up.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom