Just set up - Filter makes water cloudy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

I've just set up my aquarium on Sunday. There are no plants in it yet or so but they are supposed to be tomorrow.
When I started my filter, it coughed pretty good a few times and the water got SUPERcloudy 8O . I can't see my driftwood in the middle of the tank anymaore. Probably from the Zeolite dust!

Will those particles ever settle? Do I have to drain everything? Just wait a week? Set the filter slower? :(

I'm just scared, that the plants I've ordered online will all die, since the light can't really reach them and the particles might harm them somehow. :cry:

Thanx,
Vanessa

to keep this from happening in the future rinse chemical filtration media well before using.. activated carbon is notorious for this.. but it will clear up with a combination of settling and mechanical removal by your filter. It shouldnt take more then 24 hours.. HTH

Well, it has been like that for 2 days now and is still SUPERcloudy 8O .
It doesn't come from the activated carbon, but from the Zeolite (ammonia remover, gravel looking) in the filter.

why are you using zeolite?
its not nessisary and its actually detrimental to the bio-cycle of the aquarium.. I would remove it personaly.. and if your tank is still clowdy with the stuff for multiple days I would start changing water..
is your tank cycled?

I guess the tank can't be cycled after 2 days.
I thought zeolite is good for filter bacteria to sit on. Had it in the filter for my 40g in Germany and only had to make a water change every 2-3 weeks and clean the filter (eheim ecco) once every month or so. But if it's really so bad, I'll take it out :oops: .
Now I have a 70g and was just wondering if I'll have to take ALL the water out, but it seems as if...

If the zeolite removes ammonia from the tank, the bacteria has nothing to feed off of. That's why it is thought of as bad in the tank. I've never used it so can't comment on it. I just do regular daily water changes until the cloudiness goes away. Also, do you have any fish in the tank?

HTH.

No, I don't have any fish in the tank yet. I was planning on putting some in in about a month, when the tank has cycled.
Tomorrow the plants will arrive and I've just changed the water now to make sure the plants will get some light through the clouds.
I've also recognezed the "flower" (like oilfilm) on top of the water. I don't know if you call it flower, I translated it like that, since I'm German.

What ammonia producer are you using in the tank to cycle it? Straight pure ammonia, shrimp, fish food?

Tiffi-
Check out the articles section on the nitrogen cycle. Your tank will not "cycle" by just letting it run, it needs an ammonia source to stimulate the growth of bacteria. the first phase is bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite, then bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate grow. Yes, a cycle could take about a month to do, but it won't happen if there is no ammonia source. If you are already adding ammonia, sorry for the needless info.

Most tanks are cloudy on start up. Depending on how well you rinsed the filter medai and gravel, it could take a few days to settle. Sometimes bacterial blooms can set in and take a little longer. It will settle down though. If the filter media is clouding the water, take it out and rinse it till it doesn't cloud up the water. Since you have not started your cycle (ie: no ammonia source) this will not hurt anything.

IMO, I would take out the zeolite and just use a quality porous biologic substrate, like the ceramic noodles. then decide if you are going to use fish or store bought ammonia to cycle. If you decide to use fish, wait till the tank clears, then you need VERY FEW fish. I have a web page devoted to cycling with fish humanely:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0017.htm

Since you seem like the patient type (willing to wait a month to add fish), you could do a fishless cycle too.

Ok, this is what I did so far:
I set up the tank on Sunday (put everything together, added gravel, driftwood, water). The filter coughed and made the water super cloudy.

I was planning on starting to cycle the tank, when my plants are in there (tomorrow), since I don't want an algae bloom. I planned to cycle with fishfood (flakes), wich worked out with my 40g I had before just fine.

Eheim sells their zeolite as following :D :
"EHFISUBSTRAT

To create biologically sound water as found in nature, you need EHFISUBSTRAT. Biological filtering is based on a natural decomposition of harmful substances using helpful bacteria. They convert ammonia and nitrite into relatively non-toxic nitrate. The efficiency of biological filtration is limited by the media that bacteria are growing on. With over 450 ml per litre (22, 000sq. ft. per lmp. gal. / 18, 3000 sq. ft. per U.S. gal.) EHFISUBSTRAT is a specially designed sintered glass. Bacteria are able to stick better to a surface which has a complex pore system. EHFISUBSTRAT has been specially developed to offer optimum sites for bacteria colonization. The effectiveness of these bacteria is linked to how much oxygen and toxins can flow by. With faster decomposition of toxins compared to other media. Highly effective, economically priced, it is the best biological media available to aquarium hobbyists." (www.eheim.com)

I just wanted to know, if that cloudyness would pass sometime. But I changed all the water now and cleaned the filtermaterial once again (as I did yesterday). Cloudiness is pretty much gone rioght now. I hope it'll stay like that though :roll: .

Thank you very much,
Vanessa

The Zeolite will not help the cycle. It will remove the ammonia, which gives the bacteria nothing to feed off of. IMO, remove it.

You may want to try cycling with pure ammonia. Some people cycle with the shrimp and flake but it's messier and smells.

There is no reason to use Zeolite or any other filter media other than bio-rings/pellets, sponges/filter floss and if really desired AC.

I can understand why someone would use this when you read the description but it really isn't necessary. There is more than enough surface area with the above media.

I would think that the cloudiness came from particle matter remaining on the surfaces of one or more of the filter media since you say that when you re-cleaned, it started to clear up.

If its the normal bacterial cloudiness that comes with the cycle.. it could be there for up to a month or better.. dont worry about it.. it will settle in its own time..
zeolite is really something people used when they didnt have enough room for sufficient bio-filtration media (most likely because the media they were using did not have sufficient surface area). Its only detrimental during the cycling process.. otherwise its just really unessisary if you have good bio-media. HTH

Back
Top Bottom