Just setup my Shelldweller tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsblood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got this Tetra 10g starter kit with LED lighting for pretty cheap. I am going to be getting about 4 neolamprogous multifaciatus aka multis. Planning on doing 1 male and 3 females. I would like to get some breeding going. The fish are pretty uncommon in my area. Im getting about 20 escargot shells from amazon.com to lay in the open front area. There are 2 sword plants in there. Guess I will see if the cheap LEDs will keep them alive. Anything else I should know? Is 4 a good number for a 10g or should I do 3?
img_2287276_0_e57a466c92b53c8aba1b757c8095ac82.jpg

img_2287276_1_e0ab3cf36705fe087938a71896f02747.jpg
img_2287276_2_e284292ec0e1fa45771fac5394c7dedf.jpg
img_2287276_3_ef508ce99029641861401c0b64e35bcf.jpg

They are awesome little fish. You will be amazed at how they guard the shells and move sand around. I have 1 left and he is diging all the time. I want to get a few more but only one place around here has them (big chain store) $39.00 each.

I think four will be fine in there. Some people have even kept them in 5 gal tanks so you will be good. Love your setup so much! I was thinking about setting a 10 gal up for a few, but I was detered from the idea because it seemed like you would have to have a boring aqua scape, but your tank has been inspiring :)

Looks great, I was like scottyhorse and got put off thinking it would look boring, I'm having a rethink now though!

My next build is going to be a shell dweller in a 20L. So I'm going to tag along. Tank setup looks great! Have you decide what shells your going to use and where your going to get them?

Here a link I found to a place that sell really cool shells.
Shells Used for Cichlid Breeding, Cover for Fry and Aquarium Decorations

Edit: totally missed that you said escargot shells :facepalm:

Last edited:
Question (probably a dumb one) about the shells you're getting from amazon- are they empty shells? I just looked on amazon and checked the ingredients list, it said snails and water. Will you have to remove the snails yourself or am I searching for the wrong thing?

They also sometimes sell them in the grocery store as escargot shells. Like as a display for serving food, so they're clean and no chemicals.

Thank you everyone for the compliments :D The shells I will be getting are empty. I have heard you can get them from places like whole foods but they do still have the snail inside. Im not super interested in eating a snail so empty it is haha. Here is a link to the ones Im getting:http://www.amazon.com/Chantifrais-E...id=1358445904&sr=8-1&keywords=escargot+shells I kinda felt the same way about the scape. A lot I saw were just a bare tank with shells everywhere but I am pretty sure they will appreciate the rock.

Phishfriend thanks for that link. They have some really cool ones on there, I might have to pick up a few.

Cool idea! I like the little guys, too! One thought, since they love to dig, you might want to be absolutely certain that all of your rocks are "rock solid". You wouldn't want to wake up and find a little tail sticking out from under one of the rocks!

Cool idea! I like the little guys, too! One thought, since they love to dig, you might want to be absolutely certain that all of your rocks are "rock solid". You wouldn't want to wake up and find a little tail sticking out from under one of the rocks!
Mine only dig around the shells and moves the shells around. They will prob ignore the rocks if you have a lot of shells. I think the recomended amount is 3 or 4 shells per multi.

My shells came a day early. I am really happy with them. They are a great size with nice big openings and cool patterns. Here are the pics
img_2290722_0_042da9525afe3d355643d20667514981.jpg
img_2290722_1_bb7cae644c6d170889db7dc9610dc8c1.jpg
img_2290722_2_58bd3cc3b3c992a9097d32448366d001.jpg

Looks really good, did you need to do anything to the shells before putting them in? I was gonna have a dwarf puffer tank, now I can't decide!

Looks really good, did you need to do anything to the shells before putting them in?

They are food grade so they should be clean. I just rinsed them in tap water really well.

I still dont have any nitrites. Im kind of surprised because I added filter media from another tank. I have two fishless cycles going right now and it sure is testing my patience. I feel like Im playing some weird game everyday. I stare at the tubes going " no green no green! come on purple yay purple!"

They are food grade so they should be clean. I just rinsed them in tap water really well.

I still dont have any nitrites. Im kind of surprised because I added filter media from another tank. I have two fishless cycles going right now and it sure is testing my patience. I feel like Im playing some weird game everyday. I stare at the tubes going " no green no green! come on purple yay purple!"

Ive looked on amazon and cant find any snail-less shells (I'm in the UK) :-(
As for the cycling I know how you feel, been fishless cycling my 60 litre since September, asked for help a couple of days ago and now jlk and library girl are helping me through it. Hope yours finishes soon, can't wait to see your fishes! :)

Back
Top Bottom