just some questions about a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piemur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I wanted to do a Danio species tank for the most part, 10 gallon natural decour.

My question is, would 7 fish be too much? I was thinking of something like this,

1 Green Glofish
1 Leopard Longfin Danio
1 Turqoise Danio
1 Celestial Pearl Danio
1 Zebra Danio
1 Longfin White Cloud
1 Golden White Cloud

Also, I wanted some small invertebrates or something because those schooling fish will stay in mostly upper mid, could i fit one more middle bottom fish in there?

If not, Would 2-5 Ghost shrimp and a Freshwater Clam be ok?

Please let me know, I want to know what I can do. Due to limitations in my appartments I cant have anything larger than a 10 gallon, which I already have that previously housed a corn snake.

with schooling fish like danio, it is best to get a large school of a single species. i would pick one of the seven you listed and get 7 of the one kind. that being said, IMO 10g is too small for a school of danios. they are quite active for their size and appreciate more back & forth space than a 10g has to offer. a 20g (preferably long) is probably the minimum for danios IMO. (EXCEPT the celestial pearls, which are considered to be "micro". those would be great for a 10g.)

have you thought of getting a micro rasbora or a smaller species of tetra instead? chili rasboras or ember tetras would be my choices.

i don't know anything about FW clams but shrimp would be a great addition. you could have RCS if ghost shrimp are too plain for you.

ok. Truely shoaling fish aren't my thing. I prefer a few shoaling fish with a main solitary fish who is the focus of the tank.

In a 10 gallon with chili rasboras or ember tetra's, which would make a nice tank mate that was a solitary fish?

and if I had 6-7 Celestial Pearls, How many ghost or Red Cherry Shrimp would be alright?

I checked on Aquarium Advisor calculator thing, for a 10 gallon it said 5 chili rasbora, 5 celestial pearls and 6 cherry shrimp was doable, That is a fine selection for me, and I would love that tank. its beautiful in all red coloration on the fish

if you are going that route, get 10 of one of the two. they are both schooling fish and will be much happier and healthier with more of their own kind (the bigger the school, the better). 5 would not be horrible, but if you want happier fish, that will form a tight school on occasion (which is so cool :) ) get all of one kind. either chili rasbora or celestial pearls would look amazing with some RCS in a planted tank. can't wait to see it come together for you!!

Back
Top Bottom