Just Stared my School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydsmom367

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up 3 Harlequin Rasboras yesterday. 2 of them are schooling pretty tight but the 3rd one seems to keep to himself. They've only been in the tank for a day. Do they need time to adjust to their new surroundings before schooling well or do I just have an odd Rasbora?

you need to get at least 3 more the 2 are probably picking on the third 1
most schooling fish need to be in schools of 6 or more some times you can mix similar fish with them neons and cardinals, scissortails , danios

My plan was to get 6 but the LFS said I should only add 3 at a time. How soon can I add 3 more without throwing off my water parameters? Could I add 3 Cherry Barbs with them instead of 3 more Rasboras?

My plan was to get 6 but the LFS said I should only add 3 at a time. How soon can I add 3 more without throwing off my water parameters? Could I add 3 Cherry Barbs with them instead of 3 more Rasboras?

The employee who told you that is clueless. And I have no idea how adding more than three rasboras would mess with your water parameters.

Get three more rasboras as soon as you can. Add the Cherry Barbs a good two weeks later (and, again, get at least six... they can get aggressive if they're in small numbers).

Thx PNW. Just so I understand correctly, I MUST have at least 6 fish for 1 school and can NOT mix & match 3 Rasboras with 3 cherry barbs. Do Barbs have to be kept in schools or can I have just a pair? I heard cherry barbs can do well as long as there's at least 2.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cherry barbs are the same. They need bigger groups. Also you need like 2 females for every male or the makes will torture the females

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Cherry Barbs may also nip at your Harlequins if they're in too small of a group and stressed.

Unfortunately, too many clueless people work at LFSs. Researching on the internet prior to purchasing is the way to go.

When I first got my rasboras one of them didn't school now they are all comfortable and none of them school

Thx all. I will be getting 3 more rasboras asap. I'll skip the cherry barbs since I will not have space for them in a 10 gal with 2 guppies and the school of rasboras. Guess I'm maxed out now.

Could I get more than 6 in a 10 gal with 2 guppies? I do want to add ghost shrimp eventually.

Uh oh. Looks like the 1 fish was keeping to himself for a reason. I found him stuck in the filter, dead.

Back
Top Bottom