Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just started my first aquarium 29g

I have 6 different plants types, with 1 molly, 5 zebra danios, 5 neon tetras, and 6 platys. (2 male, 4 female) Am I on the right track here or can anyone offer any input or advice? I just changed out 3 galons of water today and did my 2nd water test and everything is right where it should be with the exception of hard water, which I hear isn't really an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170819_220742.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	302834  

Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will have baby platies. Watch the male platies so that they don't get into it too much or so that the dominant male doesn't intimidate the non-dominant male. (May or may not be a problem.) With the siphon you have on that filter, if you want to keep the babies, you might want to add an intake sponge. I like intake sponges anyhow because they increase the surface area for beneficial bacteria. You will probably end up needing to add root tabs, but I'm not a plant person, I just sort of put them in and somehow mine end up living. (And taking over some of my tanks.)

Old 08-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you. Yes we had babies the first night and they were food for about 4 days for the other fish. I will look into getting a sponge for the filter, I like that idea. And the plants so far have all grown nicely. The horn wort has gone crazy and I've already taken trimmings from it 4 times. My goal is to have a nice little bush in the back left corner of the tank.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

hornwort can end up being very messy -- I have that and there are needles everywhere! It does grow well, though.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Newbie question- In my planted tank, will the gravel need replaced or taken out and cleaned in a strainer periodically? I know some of the more heavily planted areas will be hard to clean and I will get what I can vacuuming once a week when I do about a 4 gallon change. I am still new to aquariums and dove right in after about 4-6 hours of research. Love this app! Look forward to hearing all of your suggestions and input!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1101 View Post
Newbie question- In my planted tank, will the gravel need replaced or taken out and cleaned in a strainer periodically? ..,
Not needed if the plants you keep have roots in the substrate. Meaning, if you are keeping Java fern, Anubias, and mosses, then you could/should vacuum the substrate periodically. Otherwise, you risk damaging the plant's root and removal of vital nutrients from the substrate.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just replanted the horn wort in the back of my tank and did a light vacuuming and found a couple dozen babies in my bucket. So now I have them in a small bowl with rocks and a few pieces of horn wort. Powdered up some flakes for them to eat for now. Not sure if they live if they will be in a new tank or used for feeders yet. I've had babies before but these are waaayyy smaller than the ones I've previously seen.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

There is one hanging off the rock. There's at least a dozen in there for sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170821_125010.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	302912  
Old 08-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I call those guys eyes with tails. They're good at hiding.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just trimmed and replanted. I think it looks nice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170903_195109-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	303402  

Tags
aquarium, star, start, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com