just throwing around some ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
So since the panda corys are the only fish in my sons 50litre ive been thinking what if i add the 2 platys to that out of my 70litre if i could add something really eyecatching to my tank? Shrimp friendly of course? I really want a pair of german blue rams? the tank parametres are perfect and stable enough for them but its just the red cherrys and crystal reds im worried about if i do this?

I know that most fish eat shrimplets which is fine ive been putting the berried shrimp in a fry saver while they have the babies and have some shrimplets in there now. Do you think the aldults would be fine? If i get the rams from babies? Or what about cockatoo cichlids i saw them today at the local fish shop all about 1cm long babies completley adorable

Anyone sugestions please? i transfered the two platys to my sons tank instead of getting him another betta. I thought that was the best idea and hes happy with that. Might get a guppy or 2 or another platy? But more importantly lol my tank? Suggestions? Can i add gbrs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough one with RCS and CRS. I've heard / read GBR's enjoy a tasty shrimp meal. You have any cardinal tetras at the LFS? They are pretty shrimp safe, you could do a small school of 4 to start.

I have 6 neons and 6 hengels rasbora already :) and the bn plec so just want to fill in were the platys were with something a little more exotic looking. I know me and my partner want the rams so much but i love my shrimp too. Like i said as long as my adults are left alone ill be happy placing berried shrimp in the breeder and letting the shrimp grow out. Hmmmm so hard why did i have to fall in love with the rams

I think ive been really lucky all shrimp are still acounted for and doing great with those fish and the 2 platys in with them the fish have never bothered them i make sure they are well fed with a good variety of foods tho.

Tough one ... This is a tough one ... Fish that'll be fairly shrimp safe, can be kept in pairs and add some type of color. Juvenile GBR's could work ... Problem I see with baby GBR's is ... They grow.

How about Cherry Barbs ... They're one of the few Barbs that can be kept in pairs, they stay at 2inch max and the red of the males nearly match that of RCS.

I like cherry barbs but I was doing some research and I'm thinking that a pair of scarlet badis would be beautiful if I can't have the rams and are pretty exotic looking to me. What are your thoughts ? And they'll do better at the temp of 24degrees c which my tank is now as the crs like cooler temps, I forgot about the rams liking higher temps than the crystals.

image-2106199243.jpg

Fundulopanchax gardneri
Gardneri Killifish

I just found this on an online fish store here. I love it don't know much yet have to look into it more. Killifish are pretty and very exotic looking fish but shrimp friendly I'll have to find out

I like these kind of looking fish but think I'll go for the dario dario as I know it will be fine will my shrimp

Any fish is hit or miss with RCS. A good way to test is to buy some ghost shrimp (while they are still small) and throw them in there. They are much cheaper. My GBR gets along fine with everyone. He leaves my whisker shrimp alone, but they are bigger. Again, it all depends on the fish.

_skyla_ said:
Anyone sugestions please? i transfered the two platys to my sons tank instead of getting him another betta. I thought that was the best idea and hes happy with that. Might get a guppy or 2 or another platy? But more importantly lol my tank? Suggestions? Can i add gbrs?

Just to let you know there is an edit button lol. Yeah is is 50 litres rit? That's about 12 gallons. Galaxy raboras are beautiful fish. I'd look into those.

Samzter said:
Just to let you know there is an edit button lol. Yeah is is 50 litres rit? That's about 12 gallons. Galaxy raboras are beautiful fish. I'd look into those.

Huh? yeah I know why? My sons tank is the 50 litre with the four panda cory and the two platy girls.

Mine is the 70litre with 6 neon tetras, 6 hengels rasbora, 2 baby bn plecs, red cherry and crystal shrimp.

Eeeeh im so excited :D i just ordered a pair of scarlet badis a little girl n boy! They will arrive in 2 days ! They are really hard to.find here so had to get them sent

_skyla_ said:
Huh? yeah I know why? My sons tank is the 50 litre with the four panda cory and the two platy girls.

Mine is the 70litre with 6 neon tetras, 6 hengels rasbora, 2 baby bn plecs, red cherry and crystal shrimp.

Eeeeh im so excited :D i just ordered a pair of scarlet badis a little girl n boy! They will arrive in 2 days ! They are really hard to.find here so had to get them sent

Well there was like 3 consecutive posts a minute ago. They must of been added together. Scarlett badis are beautiful fish ! Good find!

Ah i get ya. Yeah im so excited! Im about to head to the fish store and get something else for the 50litre which is 13gallons.

So ive been to the fish store and got 2 male guppies and a black sailfin molly boy. I was going to get a honey gourami but decided on the molly as the worker said it might nip the guppys?

Gouramis can be territorial. Also, if I recall from one of your other posts, your tank is fairly new, correct? You should really add only a few fish at a time so your bacteria colony can catch up. If you keep adding a bunch of fish in a short period of time, you risk throwing your tank into a mini cycle.

Yeah its fine though i test the water every 3 days and when i set it up i used.seeded material from my other well established tank. I got 2 guppys and a lyretail molly having issues tho as i just posted in a new topic

I gave one guppy and the lyretail molly to my cousin she has a 170litre tank. They are doing great and im glad they got good homes. I put the other male gup in my 70litre and hes doing alot better not bothering anyone with no female live bearers to harrass and hes just stunning i love him beautiful neon green snakeskin. Oh n got home today and found platy fry in my sons 13g hiding in the moss over 10 ive seen so far, pregnant when i got her . Im going to leave them in and maybe a few will make it. I have to organise a bigger tank soon in the next few months.
Gosh its definatley feeling like spring first the cherry shrimplets then the cory eggs and now the fry all in the last 3 days

Back
Top Bottom