Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just transfered over to my 75g

Question. Tested the water.

Ammonia 0 ppm

pH 7.6

Nitrate 20 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

What happened to my Nitrates? They jumped. They were usually 5.0 ppm. No other fish were added. Just a few anubias plants and one extra piece of driftwood that's pretty much it. I transferred all the water from the old tank as well.

Any ideas?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Idk but you'll be fine unless you have oversensitive fish don't worry.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
What happened to my Nitrates? They jumped. They were usually 5.0 ppm. No other fish were added. Just a few anubias plants and one extra piece of driftwood that's pretty much it. I transferred all the water from the old tank as well.

Any ideas?
Did you test just before you transferred the water? Perhaps they were already up just a bit. A couple thoughts.. 20ppm nitrates is nothing to worry over much. Second, the API test kit for nitrate can be inconsistent.

If it were me, I'd wait a few days and test again. In the mean time I am sure you are watching the ammonia and nitrites.. if trouble is coming it will show up there first.

Oh, and congrats on the move with your hair still in.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OasisKeeper

Did you test just before you transferred the water? Perhaps they were already up just a bit. A couple thoughts.. 20ppm nitrates is nothing to worry over much. Second, the API test kit for nitrate can be inconsistent.

If it were me, I'd wait a few days and test again. In the mean time I am sure you are watching the ammonia and nitrites.. if trouble is coming it will show up there first.

Oh, and congrats on the move with your hair still in.
Thanks! LOL! I'll keep an eye out. You know me.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'd suspect it came with the water you transferred... since it is just dirty water afterall. Did you move substrate too? If so, you could have kicked up some mulm and caused the nitrate to rise. It's also possible you have a testing error.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I'd suspect it came with the water you transferred... since it is just dirty water afterall. Did you move substrate too? If so, you could have kicked up some mulm and caused the nitrate to rise. It's also possible you have a testing error.
Gonna re test when I get home. And no, used all new substrate with a sand base that the bag said was made for African Cichlid's got it at the LFS.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re tested.

Temp is a even 78 throughout.

Thermostats on both sides of tank are reading the same. Fish are active and eating. Lights only stay on maybe for 5-6 hours a day.

pH 7.6

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 40

Is there something going on here? Should I be concerned? It seems to be rising. Nothing added other then 1 additional piece of DW and some Anubias.

Attachment 63396

Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone? Not scheduled for a water change until Saturday, should I do one today?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Frankie say: Relax. Nitrates are normal and means the biofilter is working. Nitrate toxicity in fish is widely debated, but for context, aquaculture operations sometimes run with nitrate levels in the hundreds.

Read this Nitrate - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki if you like.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OasisKeeper
Frankie say: Relax. Nitrates are normal and means the biofilter is working. Nitrate toxicity in fish is widely debated, but for context, aquaculture operations sometimes run with nitrate levels in the hundreds.

Read this Nitrate - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki if you like.
Ok thanks. I'll stop pulling my hair out now. And I'll check out that link.

Tags
75g, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com