Just transfered over to my 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Question. Tested the water.

Ammonia 0 ppm

pH 7.6

Nitrate 20 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

What happened to my Nitrates? They jumped. They were usually 5.0 ppm. No other fish were added. Just a few anubias plants and one extra piece of driftwood that's pretty much it. I transferred all the water from the old tank as well.

Any ideas?

What happened to my Nitrates? They jumped. They were usually 5.0 ppm. No other fish were added. Just a few anubias plants and one extra piece of driftwood that's pretty much it. I transferred all the water from the old tank as well.

Any ideas?

Did you test just before you transferred the water? Perhaps they were already up just a bit. A couple thoughts.. 20ppm nitrates is nothing to worry over much. Second, the API test kit for nitrate can be inconsistent.

If it were me, I'd wait a few days and test again. In the mean time I am sure you are watching the ammonia and nitrites.. if trouble is coming it will show up there first.

Oh, and congrats on the move with your hair still in.

OasisKeeper said:
Did you test just before you transferred the water? Perhaps they were already up just a bit. A couple thoughts.. 20ppm nitrates is nothing to worry over much. Second, the API test kit for nitrate can be inconsistent.

If it were me, I'd wait a few days and test again. In the mean time I am sure you are watching the ammonia and nitrites.. if trouble is coming it will show up there first.

Oh, and congrats on the move with your hair still in.

Thanks! LOL! I'll keep an eye out. You know me.

I'd suspect it came with the water you transferred... since it is just dirty water afterall. Did you move substrate too? If so, you could have kicked up some mulm and caused the nitrate to rise. It's also possible you have a testing error.

mfdrookie516 said:
I'd suspect it came with the water you transferred... since it is just dirty water afterall. Did you move substrate too? If so, you could have kicked up some mulm and caused the nitrate to rise. It's also possible you have a testing error.

Gonna re test when I get home. And no, used all new substrate with a sand base that the bag said was made for African Cichlid's got it at the LFS.

Re tested.

Temp is a even 78 throughout.

Thermostats on both sides of tank are reading the same. Fish are active and eating. Lights only stay on maybe for 5-6 hours a day.

pH 7.6

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 40

Is there something going on here? Should I be concerned? It seems to be rising. Nothing added other then 1 additional piece of DW and some Anubias.

View attachment 63396

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom