just wondering... do you have to cycle a pond like a fish tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ponds have to support LARGE fish with HUGE bioloads like koi and goldfish.
So cycling is very critical - perhaps even moreso than tanks.

If it were a natural pond, would you still have to cycle? Or is cycling only necessary when it's a man-made pond?

Cycling is necessary in every case when you add new water that hasn't cycled. It's to get the bacteria levels so the fish can survive

Yes, that makes sense (if you're adding water).

The OP's question made me think of this piece of property for sale that has a really great large pond on it (it abuts a forested park). I'm always wondering if that pond could be used, as is, for fish or if anything would need to be done to maintain it. Of course, I will never be able to buy that property in this lifetime, but in my next one, I would do readings and such just to see where my levels were.

But I'm left wondering if a natural pond is fish-ready. Common sense tells me yes, after careful acclimation, but I may be entirely wrong on this one.

Haha That's a good question I'm sire the water is ready but maybe there's diseases in the water?? Maybe

I would assume a natural pond would have an established mini-ecosystem - especially considering its existed for hundreds of years.

Back
Top Bottom