juvenile guppy or adult endler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is the smaller of the two fish in this picture a juvenile male guppy or an endler? I was buying some fish at the LFS the other day and he hitched a ride (employee netted him by accident, from a tank he wasn't supposed to be in) and so gave him to me for free.

I was assuming it was just a guppy but now I'm starting to wonder.

P.S. -- Sorry the pic isn't the greatest quality, but this guy never stays still, I think I've tried about 60 or 70 pics of him and this was the best of the lot. :x

Attachments

• maybeendler_205.jpg
    maybeendler_205.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 88
Definitely looks like an endler's, but if it's been around any guppies at all I doubt it's a pure endler's.

DOH! I think I had a brainfart or something. I had reticulata in my head (rather than wingei) the whole time, I swear, somehow I just superimposed wild guppy for endler's. Oops! I think I better get more tanks so I can get some and learn to keep their names straight!

Burks said:
guppy12 said:
LOOKS LIKE A FEEDER GUPPY

I agree. I see the same ones in the feeder guppy tanks all the time. Pretty though.
i was going to say it looked like the only survivor of my last 12 feeders (i was scared i might need to try to save him 8O :D )

i thought all guppies had the ability to be fancy/colorful guppies, its just that if not seperated, and mate too early, they stop growing colorful and become "feeder" guppies. in the wild, this is very common

Fancy guppies have been selcetively bred for many generations, but they all originated from the wild stock. In the wild, they wouldn't be able to compete successfully.

Back
Top Bottom