Juvenile Pleco in 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was trying to look for Pygmy Corydoras the other day when I noticed a small albino bristlenose pleco. I've never seen a pleco that small before! It was less than an inch long! I have a 10 gallon with only a betta. The tank is heavily planted with guppy grass, java fern, pearlweed, etc.. I know It is said by many people that plecos do not belong in 10 gallons but can this be an exception? I will rehome it when it gets to 3 inches. So can I keep him mommy? :)

If it's from PetSmart, I was looking at those, too. Seems they'll get up to six inches at full adulthood. Too big for a 10, but you might come down with a case of MTS and be able to keep it in a larger aquarium. ?

The albino cories hit around four inches as well, and take groups of at least three, pref six. A group of three might get cozy in your ten and they might not run afoul your betta unless he's really upset about company.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I only use 10g to grow out my plecos. They may spend 1 to 2 months in that small of a tank
I think much longer and too crowded and it stunts their growth. Just my opinion. Also corys eat protein and bristle nose juvies mostly vegetable matter
Keeping them in the same tank makes for awkward feedings.

Pygmy corys would be idea for a 10g or nanus or habrosus.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Short answer is no. it's not even that they get to "big" for a 10, they produce far to much waste for such a small system. Now if you say... purchased a 20 long and set it up while the little guy chilled in the 10 for a month?? That's be a-ok:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, my friend bought a bristlenose pleco for his 10 gallon at a tiny size. It took less than 2 months for the pleco to get too big and now I have him in a 55.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, plecos and cories do not belong in a 10g. Even the dwarf types, in my experience.

Dwarf corys are totally fine in a 10, proper tank maintenance is always needed of course.

No. When I had mine in a 10g they were not as active as they were in a larger tank. I and several others have experienced that......

Ok, why were they not as active? Parameters in check? I know a few keep them in a 10 and they do fine. Were they initially more active or continuously more active. What about a 12 gallon long?things like 3 feet.. plenty of room to explore yet same volume as standard 10.

No. When I had mine in a 10g they were not as active as they were in a larger tank. I and several others have experienced that......

Of course bigger is always better but if we couldn't keep fish in tanks where they are less active we couldn't reasonably keep fish at all, let alone keep anything in a 10 gallon.

Ok, why were they not as active? Parameters in check? I know a few keep them in a 10 and they do fine. Were they initially more active or continuously more active. What about a 12 gallon long?things like 3 feet.. plenty of room to explore yet same volume as standard 10.

Of course bigger is always better but if we couldn't keep fish in tanks where they are less active we couldn't reasonably keep fish at all, let alone keep anything in a 10 gallon.

Yes, the parameters were fine. The other person I am talking about has kept and bred cories for over 30 years. It's also her opinion that they shouldn't be in a 10g. A 12 long would be fine though.

Sinibotia: There are plenty of tiny fish you can keep in a 10g. They're just not as common.

What breeder would ever use anything larger than a 10 for habrosus?!?! I can't believe it..

What breeder would ever use anything larger than a 10 for habrosus?!?! I can't believe it..

Only one old pro that I know of and that's only because he has mass quantities and doesn't sell them often. Otherwise he breeds in 10g just as Brookster said. One person's opinion doesn't make it set in stone. There are many ways of doing things in this hobby and to flat out tell someone they are completely wrong isn't considered polite here. We try to accept that everyone has different ways of doing things. It's not like we are discussing keeping an Oscar in a 10g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any other Betta tank mates in a 10 gallon? I can't seem to find any of the dwarf cories. I don't want ghost shrimp. I want something that I can see.

Otos and kuhli loaches need a bigger tank. As for my opinion, it is shared by plenty of people other than me. Opinions seem to vary by forum. (I'm on 16 fish forums so I should know)

Again, bigger is always better but I have had kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon just fine on multiple occasions.

A 10 gallon is several times wider and longer than them and they have a very small bioload.

I've heard from this other fish keeper that they weren't as active in a small 10 gallon. When he upgraded to a 20 they were very active even during the day as they are nocturnal. I want my fish to be happy. I've also heard from many people that they are not very good in a planted tank as just rubbing against them will disturb the plants b/c they are very long. They'll also dig and I wouldn't want them uprooting my plants!:ermm:

Otos and kuhli loaches need a bigger tank. As for my opinion, it is shared by plenty of people other than me. Opinions seem to vary by forum. (I'm on 16 fish forums so I should know)

edit

Back
Top Bottom