Juvenile ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I lost my female gbr last month and wanted to replace her since my male and her were so close. Went to lfs last week and they had no adults. Only really young juveniles. One had a pick belly so hoping it's a female. Didn't have good color but employee said that was cause she is so young. Decided to grow her out a bit in my 20g tank with smaller fish before putting her with the bigger fishes. In a bit more then a week she had grown a lot. Get super rambuncous. Found a dead half eaten peacock gudgeon today. Not sure if was killed her just died. Ram going nuts after shrimp. When should I move it to other tank. That tank has full grown male ram. School of tiger barbs. They are very unaggressive. She is about half size of male ram. Still not growing any nice color. Is this def a gbr. Also would introducing her in a net breeder help. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397195893.938552.jpg

I see what you did there;) ram...bunctous.. If she's that wild in the 20?? Throw her in with the big boys and watch closely. If she's getting beat up take her out and wait a week or two..

Agreed with Brookster. She sounds like she can fend for herself. Introduce her in a breeding net first, as the male will initially tend to harass her otherwise. The net gives him a chance to check her out and go through the initial territorial displays until he recognizes her as a potential mate and move onto the "Hey! Hey! Look at me! I'm sexy! We should totally make babies!" dances ;)

Agreed with Brookster. She sounds like she can fend for herself. Introduce her in a breeding net first, as the male will initially tend to harass her otherwise. The net gives him a chance to check her out and go through the initial territorial displays until he recognizes her as a potential mate and move onto the "Hey! Hey! Look at me! I'm sexy! We should totally make babies!" dances ;)
hahaha that's the best... Hey baby! Check out my cave...

She seems to like the tiger barbs better then him. He follows her around and she is ignoring him. She is much smaller then him.

Amazing how much her color changed in 24 hours. Pic at beginning of thread 24 hours ago. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397283616.161253.jpg

The females usually don't care about the males until they're ready to breed. Just being around a male will tend to make a female Ram color up more though :)

Back
Top Bottom