Juwel tank problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antrats73

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have just bought a second hand juwel 5ft bow fronted tank and wanted to know is it normal for the the top front edge to have moved forward about
1 1/2cm when full ie the edge of the lid doesn't quite meet, I know it's the weight of the water but just wanted to check it is ok??? I have also seen tanks with a centre support bar and wondered if these can be purchased?? Many thanks Antony

Tanks do often bow a little bit when full, but it should be designed for this and the lid should still fit. If the lid does not fit it may be bowing more than it is supposed to. Contact the manufacturer to see how much it is supposed to bow, and if they have any top frames that fit it for additional support. Usually there is some sort of bracing on the top of 5 foot tanks.

I would empty it until I heard back from the manufacturer.

Tanks do often bow a little bit when full, but it should be designed for this and the lid should still fit. If the lid does not fit it may be bowing more than it is supposed to. Contact the manufacturer to see how much it is supposed to bow, and if they have any top frames that fit it for additional support. Usually there is some sort of bracing on the top of 5 foot tanks.

I would empty it until I heard back from the manufacturer.

Hi, thanks for the advice the tanks now empty and I have managed to find a replacement on a website for £15.99 so you were indeed correct about 5ft tanks needing this brace! Once again thanks so much for your help!

The cycle takes as long as it takes. It could take six weeks, but it depends on your local water, the starting bacteria, temperature, etc...

Put some gravel or dirty filter media from your old tank into the new tank to kickstart the cycle.

Start putting some fish food in as if the fish were already there, and start testing for ammonia and nitrite. The fish food will fall to the bottom and get fuzzy, this is good, large colonies of bacteria are forming on it, breaking it down. When the food is gone add more. You can be most certain your cycle is finished if you see ammonia peak and receed, but we can be confident if in several weeks we see ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 20+ with regular daily feedings.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Back
Top Bottom