Juwel trigon owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welshy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi just thought I would start a thread to see how many juwel trigon owners are on here if any, the reason for this is it's such a nightmare of a tank that there are always questions about the tank that people want answering , thought it would be a good idea to create a one stop shop for trigon owners to ask there questions! If not...it was worth try!

Hi,
I'll join your thread but so far I've no questions! All my fish seem happy and well, just waiting on some new plants..
One thing- do you change all the different types of sponges as often as they recommend??
Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-1823719664.jpg
    image-1823719664.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image-1442913538.jpg
    image-1442913538.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1215098099.jpg
    image-1215098099.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 101
Hey tank islooking really good, to be honest I chucked all of the sponges away after the first few months instead I put a large bag of siphorax in there and on top of this I use some White polishing foam the sponges slowed my flow rate and were a nightmare to keep on top of. This is probably the best change I made as the flow increased and maintenance now includes lifting the bag out and giving it a rinse every now and then, simple!! No more blue pad this green sponge that, hope this helps, also don't buy new sponges as often as it says by juwel just rinse out the ones in the tank in water you have taken out of the tank during a water change to get rid of the mulsh build up, never rinse under the tap as the chlorine will kill off the bacteria you should only need to replace them when they fall to pieces!! It's a con trying to get you to spend more money

Sorry im being stupid but what is siphorax?
My sponges aren't too dirty apart from the top thin White one - it's always filthy after a few days!!

Scottishnewbie said:
Sorry im being stupid but what is siphorax?
My sponges aren't too dirty apart from the top thin White one - it's always filthy after a few days!!

Siphorax is a brand if ceramic rings ( similar to what's in the White box that comes with the standard jewel filter) you cab buy them very readily in most fish shops the top one I always change the top White one each week but I buy cheap poly wool instead of te expensive jewel replacements

That sounds too easy... But I am a bit sceptical about the whole ammonia removing sponge, fine and coarse blue sponges etc... I tend to think a sponge is a sponge. Don't they all just do the same thing?? Where do I get the poly wool stuff from instead of the top white polishing sponge?

Pretty much the same thinking as me, the only thing I can think of is the coarseness of the sponge may differ, the poly pad comes from my lfs he sells it in a bag which lasts around 3 months maybe longer for 1.50 which is a bargain as all it does is literally catch s**t no benefit to it really apart from stopping it clogging up the rest if the sponges or not being collected and leaving floating detritus going around your tank.

Bubble_B0y said:
Love your tank!

those rocks are very cool. They are cave-like :)

Hi, thank you for that!! Im kind of new to this but I'm trying and so far not doing too badly...
Have you got a trigon?

The only fish I can't seem to keep alive are corys. I've had 2 Venezuelan ones die and an eleganze one and a panda one!! Don't know why as the water readings are fine and the rest of the fish seem fine too. Any suggestions?

Not really sure why I've got cory's in mine and they seem fine, but then again I am double filtering, so that might help. Can't think of a reason why they wouldn't get on in your tank, you have sand so there barbells won't be damaged or anything maybe the ones you get were just sensitive or already sick/old when you got them. Wouldn't get to disheartened by it!

The only fish I can't seem to keep alive are corys. I've had 2 Venezuelan ones die and an eleganze one and a panda one!! Don't know why as the water readings are fine and the rest of the fish seem fine too. Any suggestions?

I find cories are extra-sensitive to ammonia and nitrite.
And strong filters tend to stress them - they sometimes get sucked into the intake tube.

Back
Top Bottom