Keegster803's 55 gallon Lake Tang Biotope Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I recently got the green light from my parents to setup my 55 gallon I bought used from a guy back in the spring. We had to restain the stand and clean out the glass from the calcium deposits on it. I'm working on a stocking list, here's what I have so far. 2-6 ocellatus (depends on if the fry survive, if not, then it will only be the pair) I'm thinking of getting some altolamprologus but I'm not sure which species. Anyone got any suggestions? All suggestions are appreciated!

Sent via echolocation

Very nice Tangs are my favorite africans. It all depends on your preference I like both Comps and Calvus but I would go with Comp over calvus jsut cause I like there profile a little better. My Favorites are the black and the fire fin.

I recommend staying away from yellow leleupi. They are beauties but complete jerks. I tried 3 different ones and they all stayed under a rock unless something swam by and then they would tag the other fish and go back under the rock.

Brichardi's are nice good shape and tempermant. They are more apt to be in open water than the calvus or comps.

Leptosoma will also be in open water and have fantastic color but they are more difficult to find. At least by me they are.

Alright, I've decided on this first part of the stocking list, 2 altolamprologus Calvus, 2-6 ocellatus. I'm not sure what rock-dweller I should get, I'm also debating on whether to get synos or some dwarf bullheads

Sent via echolocation

Alright, I've decided on this first part of the stocking list, 2 altolamprologus Calvus, 2-6 ocellatus. I'm not sure what rock-dweller I should get, I'm also debating on whether to get synos or some dwarf bullheads

Sent via echolocation

Go with synos. You will basically never see the cyclurus except at feeding or night. Same with mustache cats (whose Latin name is currently escaping me). Syno petricola or luccipinnis would be my choice, and I have a single petricola and cyclurus cats

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was thinking of doing like 4 petricola synos and 2 cyclurus, do you think that could work?

Sent via echolocation

Sounds like its gonna be awesome! Maybe I can come over and see it when its said and done lol

Sounds like its gonna be awesome! Maybe I can come over and see it when its said and done lol

Haha maybe! I'm not sure whether I should add some julidochromis to the bunch.... I love their colors.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Definitely do julies!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I think I'm gonna go with some dickfeldi Julies, I love their blue coloration!

Sent via echolocation

I recommend spending the extra bucks and getting collection points as well, much more sell-ability down the road if you can get them to spawn, and typically better colorations

I recommend spending the extra bucks and getting collection points as well, much more sell-ability down the road if you can get them to spawn, and typically better colorations

What are collection points?

Sent via echolocation

What are collection points?

Sent via echolocation

Where the bloodline was originally collected from within the lake. Different collection points have varying qualities to them, and the ones we labelled as a particular species today are typically (not always) a mashup of several collection points and no longer have data to go with then

I have decided against Calvus, and I'm going to go with some nice firefin compressiceps. The tank came with play sand, is this alright for the fish?? I know tangs are sensitive to changes in water parameters. I'm debating on getting wild-caught compressiceps vs captive bred, what do you guys think i should get? And does anyone know of a good place to buy wild caught tangs?

Sent via echolocation

I have decided against Calvus, and I'm going to go with some nice firefin compressiceps. The tank came with play sand, is this alright for the fish?? I know tangs are sensitive to changes in water parameters. I'm debating on getting wild-caught compressiceps vs captive bred, what do you guys think i should get? And does anyone know of a good place to buy wild caught tangs?

Sent via echolocation

Just a heads up, the rarer tangs are going to cost a pretty penny. I don't order online, so I'm no help there unfortunately. I paid $36 each for my pair of spathodus erythrodon "Burundi" (goby cichlids) from my old LFS

Just a heads up, the rarer tangs are going to cost a pretty penny. I don't order online, so I'm no help there unfortunately. I paid $36 each for my pair of spathodus erythrodon "Burundi" (goby cichlids) from my old LFS

I am ready to finally break bank on the hobby. I won't be surprised if the comps I want cost around 30-40 a piece

Sent via echolocation

I've looked all over CL and found nothing. I'm going to the LFS to see if their Cichlid vendor can get some firefin comps in. My LFS has sunset comps, but I'm looking for firefins. If all else fails, I'll go to eBay or aquabid

Sent via echolocation

I was thinking for the stock plan,
2x Altolamprologus compressiceps
My occies and their fry (2-6 fish)
2x julidochromis dickfeldi
2x eretmodus cyanostictus
4x synodontis petricola or lophiobagrus cyclurus

Sent via echolocation

Back
Top Bottom