Keep bubbles on all day and night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I have a bubble curtain and a treasure chest what also makes bubbles. I was wondering if I should keep them on all the time or should I shut them off like at night or something ??
What you guys think?

Great question

I think the answer depends on your tank inhabitants and hardware. From your pic I think i see tetras, platy, molly and some live plants. These fish enjoy some current and your plants need some light. In the era of power saving I would buy a multiplug timer and run the air pump when with your lights are on There is however no harm in running the bubbles all the time

Gish said:
Great question

I think the answer depends on your tank inhabitants and hardware. From your pic I think i see tetras, platy, molly and some live plants. These fish enjoy some current and your plants need some light. In the era of power saving I would buy a multiplug timer and run the air pump when with your lights are on There is however no harm in running the bubbles all the time

Thanks for you great insight. I have another question, would you recommend having the lights on all the time as well or no?

At the moment what I am doing is turning off the lights when it's day so like that they only receive a dim light during the day while we are out and when night comes right before I go to bed I keep the lights on and turn them back off when I wake up in the morning.

What's the best way?

Thanks so much!

Lighting is a little more complicated. Variables such as wattage, plant types, and algae must be considered.

If you have fake plants What you are doing should be fine. Watch for algae growth.

If plants are live -monitor their color and growth. Research the type of plant and their light requirements.

Mine these forums and you will find all the info you need!!

Gish said:
Lighting is a little more complicated. Variables such as wattage, plant types, and algae must be considered.

If you have fake plants What you are doing should be fine. Watch for algae growth.

If plants are live -monitor their color and growth. Research the type of plant and their light requirements.

Mine these forums and you will find all the info you need!!

I have real plants, but I don't know their names.
How do you do it with your fish?

I live my bubbler on 24/7 and I turn my lights on in the am when I get up and I turn them off 12-14 hours later sometimes longer but I make sure I give them a few hours of darkness. Lights on all the time could stress your fish or plants since in nature they have light and dark each day.

Myfisheatsyours said:
I live my bubbler on 24/7 and I turn my lights on in the am when I get up and I turn them off 12-14 hours later sometimes longer but I make sure I give them a few hours of darkness. Lights on all the time could stress your fish or plants since in nature they have light and dark each day.

So it's ok that the fish sit in pitch black at night? How do they see?

I have my bubbler on all the time. I leave my lights on during the day, because it heats my tank very well! Its good to leave the light off at night, it gives them a chance to sleep. Fish don't have eyelids like ours, theirs are see-through. So the need the darkness to tell them its time to rest :) otherwise, it stresses them out too much.

Scottyhorse said:
I have my bubbler on all the time. I leave my lights on during the day, because it heats my tank very well! Its good to leave the light off at night, it gives them a chance to sleep. Fish don't have eyelids like ours, theirs are see-through. So the need the darkness to tell them its time to rest :) otherwise, it stresses them out too much.

Great I will certainly take this into consideration.
The reason I asked about keeping the bubbles on was because I believe the reason one of my 1 inch baby mollies died was because of the bubble curtain and got caught in the filter. But I have been keeping an eye on my fish with it on and they seem to be doing ok. I'm just afraid another one may get stuck in the filter again.

flavia21 said:
So it's ok that the fish sit in pitch black at night? How do they see?

Yep it's good for them, you could plug a night light in the room to mimic moonlight if your worried about pitch black my fish all float around on the bottom until I turn the lights on then they know it's breakfast time!

I keep my bubbles on 24/7 current doesn't stop with the hours in real conditions why would it at home?

I turn my lights off when I go to bed as I Sleep in the same room as the tank. They are always fine in the dark.. It would get dark in the wild? I'd never even considered they might not be able to see. I turn my lights on mid morning so they are on around 8-10 hours a day, the rest of the time they are off. I also keep my bubbles on 24/7 :)

Than you guys! Very helpful! :)

By the way what's the routine you guys have on your fish about eating? Once a day? In the morning?

Thank you thank you! :)

Yea I feed mine once a day, when I turn the lights on, they know that means food! It's not always necessarily dead on the same time though but always morning :)

I keep my bubbles on 24/7 I have smaller fish then your mollie was and he has never had an issue going around the bubbles and not being able to get out. I actually have a few fish who love to play with the bubbles.

I feed them 2-3 times a days. Usually once in the morning when I get up and then again before I go to bed at night. I have occasionally fed them 3 times in one day, when I do it's not the normal amount I usually give them. I will cut it down.

Ursi said:
Yea I feed mine once a day, when I turn the lights on, they know that means food! It's not always necessarily dead on the same time though but always morning :)

Gotchya :) I do more or less the same thing I just wanted to make sure I was going down the right path.
I'm pretty new at this. My tank is only about 5 months old so I love to see other people's perspectives and learn to see what I can do better for my fish.

Thanks again! :)

I'm still new to it, I kept a freshwater tank about 5 years ago but had to give it away due to moving, I have had my tank now since around November 2011.. So almost a year and I still have LOADS to learn!

Musicfreak said:
I keep my bubbles on 24/7 I have smaller fish then your mollie was and he has never had an issue going around the bubbles and not being able to get out. I actually have a few fish who love to play with the bubbles.

I feed them 2-3 times a days. Usually once in the morning when I get up and then again before I go to bed at night. I have occasionally fed them 3 times in one day, when I do it's not the normal amount I usually give them. I will cut it down.

Do you keep you bubbles in the back? I have a bubble curtain and I have it along the back of the tank next to the filter and heater. Is that right? If not that my be the reason the fishy got stuck in the filter because all my fish love the bubbles and ate always lingering around it.

:) thanks

Yeah I'm the same my bubble curtain stays on all the time and lights on when I wake and off at night. If you worried about fry getting stuck in the filter you could try covering your filter intake with some pantyhose or a sponge so they can't get sucked in. Oh and I feed mine twice a day once in the morning and before lights off :)

Ursi said:
I'm still new to it, I kept a freshwater tank about 5 years ago but had to give it away due to moving, I have had my tank now since around November 2011.. So almost a year and I still have LOADS to learn!

Yep I love new information and I have fallen in love with my fishy. I'm always watching them swim and just love analyzing their behavior. They're so awesome and it amazes me! :)

Back
Top Bottom