Keeping a puffer in my freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DukeNukem713

Aquarium Advice Activist
My roomate has a figure eight puffer that he wants to give to me. I have a freshwater tank. This is my stock. 3x small angelfish, 1 pearl gourami, 1 dwarf flame gourami, 1 small catfish, 1 small tire track eel, 1 crawfish, 1 small ghostknife, 2 bolivian rams, and 4 very small kribensis. I also have loads of live plants

The puffer has lived in my buddies freshwater tank for 3 months now, but I know that they need brackish water or they will eventually die.

My question is, can i treat my tank with a little aqauriuma salt each week to keep this thing alive, or will the salt harm my other fish? In other words, what fish can not tolerate ANY SALT, and what plants can not tolerate ANY SALT. Or, if you really know your stuff, will my plants/fish be able to tolerate the minimum amount of salt it takes to keep a puffer alive? Thanks.

Puffers aren't really community fish. They are hunters. Don't know much more than that.

This is a figure 8 puffer, i read that they are much less agressive than other puffers. But ofcourse if he acts up and starts to nip hes gone. I just need to know if the salt will harm my current fish

most of your fish is pure freshwater. figure 8 will not do well in FW for long-term. figure 8 will nip or get stressed out if it doesn't feel like it doesn't have a territory to control.

Back
Top Bottom