Keeping an aquarium with other pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not sure where to post this, but since I have a freshwater tank I put it in General Discussion.

I just bought a 30 gallon to upgrade from my old 10 gallon.
When I move out of my current apartment, I'm going to be adopting a cat or a small dog. If I get a cat, is there any tips to keep it climbing on my tank/stand? I just don't want my cat to somehow get on the stand and paw at things. And as for the dog I don't want a dog to bump the stand and have the aquarium fall or crack.

I have my 30 gallon atop an old dresser (it's sturdy). But when I first put the tank on the dresser before I filled it up, there's space on the ends where a cat could possibly climb up and jump onto the hood of the tank.

Any tips on how to keep an aquarium with other pets around? Just trying to plan ahead!

It would take a big dog to knock a stand over with a 30 gallon tank on it due to the weight. As for a cat, I had 3 cats and had no issues then them climbing on the hoods. My advice is a spray bottle with water and vinegar solution. They don't like that at all. It'll take time but it works. Especially since each cat is different

You'll be fine. If you get a cat, just dip its paws in the water and it will leave it alone, trust me :lol: I've got dogs and cats, they leave it alone.

Thank you, it's not that big of an apartment, so I can't fit a big dog anyway :p the spray bottle idea seems like a good idea

Back
Top Bottom