Keeping Aquarium Cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfoxx3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody. I have a 5 gallon tank with a mickey mouse platy in it and was just wondering some tips to help keep the tank in my target temperature zone of 78-82 degrees with the summer approaching.

Unfortunately I do not have central air, only a window conditioner in my bedroom where the tank is, so the air temp won't be regulated. When I am out of the house and my window conditioner is not on it will get very warm in the room. So I was just wondering if there was anything I can do other than turning my tank heater off to help keep the temperature from rising to high. I'm not sure how warm a water temperature platies can tolerate (the highest I've seen anywhere was 82) so I don't want it to get lethally warm. Thanks!

You can run a fan across the surface of the water to promote evaporation = cooling the water. You'll have to keep up on PWC's to replenish evaporated water. You an also put ice cubes in a plastic bag (Ziplock bags) and let them float. Some members have frozen treated water ... you really don't want chlorinated ice-cubes floating ... even if it's in a ziplock.

You can look into a chiller or other cooling devices ... but the two above a easy, inexpensive but effective ways of cooling your tank.

You can run a fan across the surface of the water to promote evaporation = cooling the water. You'll have to keep up on PWC's to replenish evaporated water. You an also put ice cubes in a plastic bag (Ziplock bags) and let them float. Some members have frozen treated water ... you really don't want chlorinated ice-cubes floating ... even if it's in a ziplock.

You can look into a chiller or other cooling devices ... but the two above a easy, inexpensive but effective ways of cooling your tank.

Awesome, thank you. Should I turn my heater off to take away one of the sources of heat other than the air temp or leave it on as a safety net incase it gets cool to prevent it from dropping? I'm not sure how much the heater affects the temperature of the water when the water temp rises naturally from the temp of the room?

I turn my heaters off during the summer. You can just monitor your temp as you try turning on/off heater.

wfoxx3 said:
Awesome, thank you. Should I turn my heater off to take away one of the sources of heat other than the air temp or leave it on as a safety net incase it gets cool to prevent it from dropping? I'm not sure how much the heater affects the temperature of the water when the water temp rises naturally from the temp of the room?

I'll say always leave the heater turned on. You never know when a sudden cold spell could hit while your away on a long weekend.... As unlikely as it seems at this point in the season. The way I figure, the temp doesn't have to drop to frigid temps, just cool enough to drop the water temp to low 60,s ... Upper 50's for trouble to start.

Thanks for all of the responses. I will definitely get a fan and also keep some conditioned ice cubes ready to go. Out of curiosity does anyone know about how cool the fan will keep it? I know I will have to watch the temperature closely all summer but if I am at work during a hot day and I don't have the window conditioner on but have the fan running over the aquarium should I be ok? I'm just interested to know a rough estimate of how many degrees the fan will shave off the rising temp? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom