Keeping Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiLuckyFin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've got the bug.

Lucky Fin and Sushi aren't mine, and I want my OWN fish darn it! *stomps feet*

I'm not going to add a third fish to the goldie tank for various reasons although I'd love to got an oranda! So cute!

I wish I had the expertise/money to have a nano reef. But I'm being realistic here.

I'm thinking about getting a betta but don't know a lot about types, stocking etc. I really just know you can't keep two males together. But would a male be happy by itself?

Would like to go as natural as possible. Plants substrate etc. But filtered and heated .

Definitely NEVER those tiny betta tanks. I want to do things nice for the fish!

Other alternative is to get some small schooling fish.

I don't know much about tropical fish. They were always in the 'too hard' basket when growing up!

Males are fine by themselves. A 5-10 gallon aquarium would be fine, maybe you could have some shrimp to, although some bettas think that they are great snacks. I don't know a bunch on bettas, so hopefully someone else with more knowledge could chime in. Good Luck!

My males have always seemed to do fine on their own. They can cost anywhere from $5 to $50 for one fish. I've never had a problem with them and plants. I haven't tried freshwater shrimp but would like to.

A 5 gallon tank would be great for a betta, some shrimp, and a snail. Or if you dont want shrimp you can get an ADF! I used to have one in a to gallon. (ADF is an African Dwarf Frog) they don't need any land in the tank so its almost more like a fish than a frog. Good luck!

A 5 gallon tank would be great for a betta, some shrimp, and a snail. Or if you dont want shrimp you can get an ADF! I used to have one in a to gallon. (ADF is an African Dwarf Frog) they don't need any land in the tank so its almost more like a fish than a frog. Good luck!

Good suggestion! A frog would be very cute with a betta. The frogs come in a mottled black color and albino. Just watch how much light you have with the albino.

We have really strict rules about animals here in Australia. And as my first thought, no African frogs. Might just sick with fish!

I have a 10g that is divided. Each side has a betta (one male and one female) and 2 adf. This is by far my favorite tank! Here is my male betta (stealing the frogs food!) and one of my frogs.

ForumRunner_20120707_221458.jpg

SushiLuckyFin said:
We have really strict rules about animals here in Australia. And as my first thought, no African frogs. Might just sick with fish!

there are numerous members who are in Australia. Maybe someone will chime in and let you know if you can have adf or not

I googled already. We can't.

And although I might be able to get my hands on one on the black market (I wouldn't even know where to begin lol) it would only encourage the smuggling etc etc.

We are lucky in that we have the MOST beautiful reef stock available. We have a salt aquarium shop near us, and I regularly go in for a perve!

SushiLuckyFin said:
I googled already. We can't.

And although I might be able to get my hands on one on the black market (I wouldn't even know where to begin lol) it would only encourage the smuggling etc etc.

We are lucky in that we have the MOST beautiful reef stock available. We have a salt aquarium shop near us, and I regularly go in for a perve!

That is to bad! Why can't you have them just out of curiosity..?

I often go into my lfs to check out their saltwater selection as well and just drool! One day I want too start a saltwater.

smomus said:

I often go into my lfs to check out their saltwater selection as well and just drool! One day I want too start a saltwater.

Customs and bio security, delicate ecosystems, many endangered and threatened species, habitat destruction etc etc.

They can't have them for probably the same reason in certain US states you can't keep African Clawed frogs and Cuban Tree frogs- they can live outside in the wild. California is kinda strict about that stuff. Its a shame that responsible pet owners get punnished for the misdeeds of others.

Good point. Guess its kind of like breed specific laws for dogs..

Yeah here in Florida its illegal to own Piranha because they can survive if released into the wild. I used to live in Minnesota and it was legal there and we had 4!

There are laws like that to keep invasive species out of our waters. They can destroy a natural ecosystem very quickly by several means. There are even aquatic plant laws.

Yeah but the funny thing is its legal to own Red Bellied Pacu when they are very similar to Piranha. (Have you guys seen the River Monsters episode the Mutilator?)

vanimal said:
Yeah but the funny thing is its legal to own Red Bellied Pacu when they are very similar to Piranha. (Have you guys seen the River Monsters episode the Mutilator?)

To my understanding its because the pacu is herbavore, posing little threat to our natural wildlife. A loose piranha is going to destroy every fish in his path.

Yes! I love Jeremy Wade.

Back
Top Bottom