Keeping crabs correctly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
I haven't been posting on here in ages because I've been keeping Madagascar roaches for the last several months and don't have an aquarium. However, I miss aquariums and am considering getting a setup for a small colony of red claw crabs. I know people often keep these guys in tanks that are inappropriate for them and I would like to have a setup that is perfect for them instead of bad for them. The plan would be a brackish water 10gallon tank with sand in the bottom and a raised land area taking up about 1/3 of the tank. That means 2/3 would be fairly open sandy bottom and the other third would be a stable rock pile with some sphagnum moss etc on top. I was thinking I could use a good layer of coral sand on top of regular sand to help keep the water alkaline.

I'm looking for some other advice from other people who have experience keeping these crabs. Any thoughts are welcome :)

(I really enjoy invertebrates so if crabs are going to be too difficult I suppose I could go the cherry shrimp route.)

Back
Top Bottom