Keeping fish alive on an 8 hour trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you planning on one bag per fish? (No one ever said how many bags or how many fish per bag). Limiting yourself to one fish per bag, and setting up the bags the way the LFS does it (20% water using some compressed air to fill the bad up like a baloon) and put all the bag in one of those cheap coolers to avoid temperature changes and provide a dark place for the trip sounds like it's worth a try to me.

The "compressed air" they put in the bag is actually pure oxygen. The oxygen will go into the water as more is removed.

You don't need to do one fish per bag with something small like that. It'd be perfectly fine to put a dozen or so (size dependent) in the same bag. They aren't going to run out of O2 in an 8 hour trip. It'd take DAYS before they run out IME and oxygen is not necessary to add to the bag..

There are not a large number of people who keep native fish (maybe fewer than there are species of fish!). NANFA is the best site for profiles and questions. They have a forum too, so one option is posting your picture and asking for advice, similar to this site.

Another thing I've found useful for identification is just using Google to produce images of suspected matches. Sometimes you get vendors' websites that will have pictures. BTdarters has a few of the more popular ones. Luckily for you, Etheostoma is probably the most widely kept group of native fish, and there are a few people selling them.

There are not a large number of people who keep native fish (maybe fewer than there are species of fish!). NANFA is the best site for profiles and questions. They have a forum too, so one option is posting your picture and asking for advice, similar to this site.

Another thing I've found useful for identification is just using Google to produce images of suspected matches. Sometimes you get vendors' websites that will have pictures. BTdarters has a few of the more popular ones. Luckily for you, Etheostoma is probably the most widely kept group of native fish, and there are a few people selling them.

Thats what I do for the google part of it. Like I saw a very very beautiful looking cichlid at petsmart, but could not remember the name. I went home and typed in what that looks were, then I went to the images part of it and found it.

Google imaging is a very good source for IDing fish.

Back
Top Bottom