Keeping fish from outdoors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been googling this with no success. I want to find out if it is illegal to keep fish caught from ponds and put them in an aquarium thats suitable for it in Massachusetts, like a bass, perch, sunfish, etc.

From what I understand in Ct, you can keep fish that are wild caught. You CANNOT release ANY (wild or domestic) back into the wild. (It also clearly states in the forum rules that you should NEVER release any fish back into the wild, as it may be a violation of terms of the forum you agreed to, which could result in you being banned for unethical practices.)

Edit : You're best advice would be to contact your local fish and wildlife service and ask them. They know and enforce all the rules in their jurisdictions.

I would NEVER release any fish into the wild. But I would like to make a tank of the game fish that are from around massachusetts, but I can't find if it's legal or not anywhere

I would NEVER release any fish into the wild. But I would like to make a tank of the game fish that are from around massachusetts, but I can't find if it's legal or not anywhere

That first line is the best possible response ever lol. So IMO, I would contact your local authority (anonymously) and ask what the particulars are. THEN, do a ton of research as I'm sure fish of that caliber require vast amounts of water to thrive in. After all, they do live in lakes and ponds that you probably can't recreate in a tank setting and a backyard pond would be the only ethical way to go.

Reactions: HN1
I think if u have a Fishing License that give u the right to do whatever u want with your caught legal sized fish, u could use the excuse "I'm growing them out for personal food" if asked but mainly they go after illegal obtained wildlife.

Google your State's Department of Natural Resources or Fish & Game. There should be specific rules regarding collection / keeping.

I know here in Michigan we can only keep fish that are in season as long as we have a license. Using bass for example, they are legal to keep until they can no longer be legally caught. Bluegill on the other hand can be kept year round.

You also can't transport water away from the place where they are caught so it makes for some interesting complications.

I'm sure your state is different but that's what we have to deal with here.

Back
Top Bottom