Keeping Oto's. General Info, Gravel vac problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like to add some oto's to my tank and was wandering what they like.

Ive heard that they like good water, or have to have good water rather.

Currently i do 1/3 water change every 2 weeks. Will i have to make it once a week or twice a week to keep oto's?

All of my fish are pretty hardy, they've taken some bad water when i was a less experienced aquarist and are really healthy now.

1 problem i have is the gravel its small and fine so when i do a gravel vac i have to rustle up the gravel so all the waste is lifted so when i vac the bottom i dont get any gravel. I do have a very small tube but this takes hours to even do 3/4 of the tank. The piece of hose i use is perfect for water changes but not for gravel vacs.

You're pretty near the limit for the number of fish that can go in a tank that size (just an estimate) but you could add a couple more otos to help keep the algae under control. I don't think you would need to change your routine of water changes. If you do get a pair of otos and they survive the first couple of weeks then they should do fine. Just make sure that you don't get a new transported pair from your LFS. Otos can be very stressed during transport and you should give them a chance to recover before taking them home.

You might also want to look at getting a new gravel vacuum to make your tank cleaning quicker and easier. I've used the Siphon Kleen for a long time and the only thing that is probably better would be a Python. Here is a link to where you can find both in case you are interested.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?N=2004+113164

Yeah im definately interested cheers!

Yeah my tank is nicely stocked at the moment but i would like some more fish to keep the algae level down. Oto's seem ideal cus they should hopefully do that and they stay small.

if your not able to clean your gravel.. that might be were the algae problem is coming from.. I would hold off on the otto's untill you can get your gravel cleaned.. HTH

The Siphon Kleen is available in several different sizes. I use the medium one for my 29 and 30 gallon tanks and the smaller one for my 5, 10 and 20 gallon tanks. You dig the angled end into the gravel or sand substrate and it will vacuum it up somewhat so that the debris surrounding the substrate is removed via the attached hose while the substrate falls back down to the bottom of the tank. If it starts to suck up your gravel or sand you just lift it away from the substrate and whatever you vacuumed will fall back down.

The python has the advantage that you don't have to carry buckets around to clean and refill your tank(s). It allows you to work faster and with less effort. The downside is that it costs more and you have to be within working distance of a sink that it can be attached to.

Yeah i think i will get the python. My sink is fairly close but the tube that gets to it will go through 2 rooms. Not a problem just a hazard having a tube draped along the floor especially with a 4 year old and a 6 year old in the house!

I'll have to buy from an english or english based website though.

Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom