keeping QT water parameters the same as normal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do you guys keep the water parameters the same in your QT when the conditions (bio-load, plants, cleaning practices etc.) are not the same. I want to eventually set up a QT and don't want to "parameter shock" the fish when transferring between my own tanks.

I'm sure lots of you have some creative and brilliant ideas.

as for me, my QT tank is a tiny tiny beta tank that i just clamp to the side of my normal tank (inside) .. this ensures the water temperature to stay exactly the same, and i just dunk water from the main tank into the QT tank (the qt tank is probably .5 gallons) so all the conditions are the exact same : )

as for me, my QT tank is a tiny tiny beta tank that i just clamp to the side of my normal tank (inside) .. this ensures the water temperature to stay exactly the same, and i just dunk water from the main tank into the QT tank (the qt tank is probably .5 gallons) so all the conditions are the exact same : )

My Q-tank is kept dry, and when I need it I fill it and put in the sponge filter that I keep running on one of the big tanks just for this purpose. I also might toss in a rock with java fern on it or something. It is very important to acclimate the fish to the hospital tank by putting the fish in a container and float it, and add some of the quarrantine water over a period of 30-45 minutes, depending on how different the tanks might be. They fish will need to be acclimated back to the original tank as well once they are done with treatment.

It is very good to think about such things! It's one of those things you might not even realize - so I'm glad you asked :D

that will work for a harrassed/harrassing fish but it wont work if theres a sick fish. and thats mainly what a quarentine tank is for. :wink: still works though

it's worked fine for my sick fish, since it hasn't been the water parameters that are a factor in their illnesses (have only needed to q uaranteen african dwarf frogs for fungus)

true but if you get something like ich or popeye it'll spread through ur tank like crazy. but if its just fungus you can just melafix the tank without taking them out

treating my entire 29gallon for one fish is totally expensive though. that calls for 3 tabs a day for a week straight, whereas if i did it just to the QT tank it wouldn't be a problem. if one fish in my tank has ich though i can treat the whole tank and not quarantine. just raise the temp and salt it and it's gone in a week; much easier... also because the other fish are likely to get ich if one has it, but that's not the same case for fungus

mgkaelen said:

I think you are missing what he is saying... he is saying that the tank is just sitting in the water. The original source was the water but it is now seperated from the tank by the acrilic bowl. I would just assume it is not a good idea because you have no filtration or water movement. I could be wrong about what he is saying though. I have a little hang on like the fish stores use to keep my fish seperated when they need meds (and when they are not contageous).

mgkaelen said:

I think you are missing what he is saying... he is saying that the tank is just sitting in the water. The original source was the water but it is now seperated from the tank by the acrilic bowl. I would just assume it is not a good idea because you have no filtration or water movement. I could be wrong about what he is saying though. I have a little hang on like the fish stores use to keep my fish seperated when they need meds (and when they are not contageous).

Back
Top Bottom