keeping water warm in winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jess12313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi so im starting a new tank up for guppies i also hsve a tank with goldfish in i was wonderinf how do u keep your water in the winter

Goldfish probably won't need a heater just feed less as it gets colder because their metabolism slows. Guppies definitely need to be at 75 to 80 degrees for best health and breeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would disagree with the above post. Guppies will live longer and with fewer health problems at lower temps. I never heat live bearer tanks and the temps vary between about 66F and 75F, at various times of the year. The question here is, how cold is the tank going to be. Goldfish can be taken right down to freezing.

Everything I've read says guppies need to be at 72 to 80. I respect that we have a difference of opinion. Just goes to show the OP that there are different ways of doing things and do your own research to make an informed choice about your fish.

Guppies will grow more quickly at 80 then at 70. Gestation will be shorter, but so will their lives. If you are breeding them for profit, you obviously want them to grow as fast as possible. Same applies to swords and platies. There are advantages to lower temps including higher dissolved oxygen content and slower/lower bacteria growth.

I dont use heaters in any of my tanks in the spring and summer unless the temps get below 72f in the tanks then I'll plug them in.. Except for my discus tank. Saves money on the electric bill lol

Guppies will grow more quickly at 80 then at 70. Gestation will be shorter, but so will their lives. If you are breeding them for profit, you obviously want them to grow as fast as possible. Same applies to swords and platies. There are advantages to lower temps including higher dissolved oxygen content and slower/lower bacteria growth.

+1 as long as your house doesn't differ widely from room temp your guppies will be fine. These fish are one of a few species that very invasive because of their ability to thrive just about anywhere. Guppies have even been known to spawn in waters with salinity 1.5x that of the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Everything I've read says guppies need to be at 72 to 80. I respect that we have a difference of opinion. Just goes to show the OP that there are different ways of doing things and do your own research to make an informed choice about your fish.

Yes, keeping a fish in temps over what it actually requires, speeds metabolism and gestation. Below required temps retards system functions. Both effect osmoregulation and shorten a fishes life. This is a large reason a lot of fish don't make it close to their potential life expectancies.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This.

I wonder if back in this days, people keep their tank heated with fire.. :D

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's why really old tanks had slate bottoms, for little oil burners under them. Well before my time, but I've had several old timers confirm this. There's still old slate bottom tanks around, they weigh a whole lot more than glass bottom tanks.

Back
Top Bottom