Key hole cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are these another peaceful cichlid option? I've been on the quest for a ram but am not having much luck. I did however come across some lovely keyholes at the local pet store and was curious about them. Ive read they are peaceful but wonder how peaceful they really are. Would they make a good replacement for a ram? It would be housed with an angel, probably some platy and from their I'm not certain. Possibly a rapheal cat or some mid sized tetras(that won't be eaten by the angel).

Are they a lower level swimmer as well?

They are extremely peaceful IMO. I have 2 with a pair of rams and the rams pick on them a little bit but it's almost never the other way around. They are with glow light tetras and don't bother them at all either. They are generally low level swimmers. A very rewarding fish to own, very fun to watch. How big is your tank?

Are these another peaceful cichlid option? I've been on the quest for a ram but am not having much luck. I did however come across some lovely keyholes at the local pet store and was curious about them. Ive read they are peaceful but wonder how peaceful they really are. Would they make a good replacement for a ram? It would be housed with an angel, probably some platy and from their I'm not certain. Possibly a rapheal cat or some mid sized tetras(that won't be eaten by the angel).

Are they a lower level swimmer as well?

Great community cichlid, IME. Angels are perfect companions. Another good one if ya can come across 'em is the cupid cichlid, Biotodoma cupido.

WYite

They are extremely peaceful IMO. I have 2 with a pair of rams and the rams pick on them a little bit but it's almost never the other way around. They are with glow light tetras and don't bother them at all either. They are generally low level swimmers. A very rewarding fish to own, very fun to watch. How big is your tank?

30 gallon. I was hoping to be able to get 1, perhaps 2 if I had the room for it.

Keyholes are lovely peaceful fish, though about 3 times bigger than most Rams when grown, I'd maybe just do 1 and see how it goes space wise in the tank, though if you have just 1 Angel 2 would be fine. Bolivian Rams and Cupid Cichlids also a good mix with Angels and smaller than a Keyhole.

There will be other fish in the tank too.

I'm thinking something like

1 angel
a few platy
the keyhole - or any suitable peaceful cichlid I can get in my area.
and possibly my school of lambchop rasboras(5)(full grown)
I have a sunset gourami in my 20 gallon that I've debated trying in the 30 as well. I've heard varying opinions on this working but I figured given the fact he is so mild mannered and if it doesn't work out I can just put him back in my 20 I may as well give it a try and see.

Though I will be getting the angel and key hole still very small I do want to keep it stocked around their adult size. I do not for see a larger tank in my future any time soon so want to plan with what I have.

Filtration currently is an Aqua Tech 20-40(160 GPH) and I'm probably going to add another filter of about the same size. Still not sure on brand but I'll stick with around 150-160GPH most likely. I'm not worried so much about water quality as I do 30-40% changes twice a week or every 5 days. I'm mostly concerned with being sure I have the proper space long term.

hmm, I did not realize they were so large. :S. hmmm.. I've never seen these cupid cichlids but I'll look into them. My LPS is bad for miss naming fish so they very well could be sitting there under another name and i wouldn't know. They do have a decent cichlid section but for seem reason rams are very rarely in stock.

Back
Top Bottom